I am back. I just had tom yam for lunch.
Tom Yam is a Thai-style spicy soup which is bound to increase one’s appetite (and sweat). It is hot and sour and is served hot. Great accompaniment to a steaming bowl of white rice, especially in cold weather. I do cook it once in a blue moon.
This is my recipe for Seafood Tom Yam
- 400 gms medium prawns
- 200 gms squid (cut into rings)
- 150 gms oyster mushrooms
- 100 gms baby corn (quarter-cut lengthwise)
- 3 tomatoes (quartered)
- 4 cups prawn / chicken stock
- Salt and sugar to taste
- 2 stalks lemon grass, bruised
- 4 kaffir lime leaves
- 4 fresh birds-eye chillies (cili padi)
- Lime juice to taste
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- 2 onions cut into rings
- 2 tablespoon tom yam paste (can be obtained from supermarkets)
Shell and devein prawns. (The heads and shells can be boiled to make prawn stock)
Bring to boil 5 cups prawn / chicken stock. Add all the above ingredients (except prawns, squid, lime juice & coriander leaves) and simmer till baby corn and mushroom are cooked.
Add prawns and squid and simmer for three minutes, or just until prawns and squid are cooked.
Stir in lime juice to taste, making it nicely piquant. Serve sprinkled with coriander leaves
My Recommended Recipes