Mee Hoon Kueh (Flour Cake Soup)

Contrary to the word Mee Hoon being rice vermicelli, the Mee Hoon here is actually a Hokkien word which means flour. This is a soupy dish made using flour dough which has been flatten pancaked-style to small pieces. Some may even identify it as Pan Mee, but this is a home-cooked version and the flour cake is torn into pieces rather than machine-rolled to noodle form.

It is actually quite a healthy dish combining carbohydrates (flour), protein (pork) and fat (little oil is used), fibre (vegetables) and calcium (ikan bilis / dried anchovies). The most important part of this dish is the ikan bilis stock as it gives much flavour to the overall dish. I like to have this for lunch.

This is my recipe for Mee Hoon Kueh (Flour Cake Soup)

• 200 grammes of flour (add some water and knead into a dough, allow dough to stand for 30 minutes and then separate them into balls about half the size of an egg)
  • 3/4 bowls of ikan bilis (boil in 5 soup bowls of water for 30 minutes to make ikan bilis stock. Discard ikan bilis thereafter)
  • 1/2 bowls of ikan bilis (rinsed)
  • 50 to 100 grammes of sliced pork tenderloin (marinate with 2 teaspoons light soya sauce)
  • 200 grammes or more of chinese mustard leaves (choy sum / sawi) (washed and cut to bite sizes)
  • 5 pieces dried chinese mushrooms (pre-soaked in 1 bowl of water till soft and cut into strips discarding the stalk / stem. Retain water for cooking)
  • 5 cloves of shallots (sliced thinly)
  • Oil for frying (preferably palm oil)
  • 2 pinches of chinese salted vegetable (tung choy)

• Light soya sauce
  • Salt to taste

Fry the 1/2 bowls of rinsed ikan bilis in sufficient oil till crispy. Remove and set aside. Discard oil.

Heat up wok and fry the shallots in about 3 tablespoons of oil till golden brown. Remove fried shallots and set aside. With remaining oil, saute pre-soaked mushrooms for 1 minute (add 1 teaspoon of light soya sauce whilst you saute the mushrooms). Add sliced pork tenderloins and stir-fry till almost cooked.

Add ikan bilis stock and water (used to soak mushrooms) and bring to boil. Meanwhile, using a rolling pin or bare hands, flatten the balls of dough invidually to make flour cake.

When soup is boiling (and keep it boiling throughout), tear flour cake to bite sizes (say approximately 5cm x 3cm) and throw them into the soup. Stir occasionally. Once you’ve finished with the flour cakes and with soup boiling, chuck in the chinese mustard leaves and stir for about 30 seconds whilst adding seasoning and salted chinese vegetables to taste.

Dish up in bowls (you’ll get about 4 bowls here) and sprinkle fried shallots and fried ikan bilis over the soup prior to serving.

Comments

Kat
    July 25th, 2007 at 5:11 pm

Yummilicious! Brought back such wonderful memories for me. I’m also Hokkien & my Mom made this mee hoon kueh soup exactly like yours years ago. I remembered helping her with pinching & flattening the dough & throwing them into the wok full of that delicious ikan bilis soup. A comfort food, for sure.

July 25th, 2007 at 5:16 pm

Kat : How about cooking it again? :D Thanks for visiting and hope this blog will continue to stir up old home-cooked recipes from your memory.

Jin
    August 8th, 2007 at 5:55 am

Hi Pablo,

A very nice website! I am also Hokkien and my mom always made these dishes as in your website.

Mee Hoon Kueh is my favourite dish. I cook it myself many times after moved out 6000km away from home.

My mom always add in 1 egg, a bit of salt and a bit of remaining fried shallots oil into flour. The dough will be easy to torn. :-)

August 10th, 2007 at 4:51 pm

Jin : Hi Jin! Thanks for your kind words and tips :D

I got one new tip for you:- Fry some dried prawns and pound them till it becomes powder. Sprinkle this into the flour and knead into a dough. It adds a new dimension and taste to mee hoon kueh!

Come back again!

NL
    May 20th, 2008 at 6:45 pm

I love it. I wll try to cook it by ur recipe. Can use tepung gandum ar? TQ..Gambatte!!!

nebu
    December 7th, 2008 at 9:18 pm

hi i’m a hokchia by ancestry, my aunt used to cook the meehoon kueh exactly like your recipes except without the mushroom, yummy!
    Great to know your blog :)

Daruma 老叔
    January 26th, 2009 at 11:54 am

pablopabla,
    Actually rice vermicelli in Hokkien should be pronounced Bee(米) Hoon. Mee(麵) Hoon for this dish is correct in this case, which is refering to wheat flour.

ME:D
    August 24th, 2009 at 9:27 pm

what type of flour is used ?

August 26th, 2009 at 12:16 pm

ME:D : Just plain wheat flour will do. Don’t have to use expensive flour.

Julie
    November 30th, 2009 at 3:34 am

Thanks for the recipe! Never thought it’s so simple to make pan mee! Just made it for dinner and it turned out pretty similar to the real thing. Am so pleased although I’ve went way overboard with the tung choy cause I love them and I love salty veg so it turned out pretty salty.

Feels so good to have good Malaysian food on a cold winter’s night when you’re so far away from home. =)

December 10th, 2009 at 1:11 pm

Julie : Oh, this would definitely be lovely on a cold winter’s night. I’m glad you even managed to get tung chye.

Gail
    December 13th, 2009 at 11:26 am

I’m a Hokkien girl and this dish brings me back memories! My gran would let me tear and pinch the dough pieces into the pot. But she would use soya beans including the ikan bilis to the stock. Sometimes just before serving, she’ll crack and egg. Thanks for the recipe!

Paulina
    May 29th, 2010 at 1:29 pm

This dish bring back fondest memories of my dad who liked to cook this Mee Hun Kueh for the whole family!My dad who is Hokkien will whip up this wonderful dish and I will help him with the tearing of the dough pieces into the big wok with the boiling ikan bilis stock!

Catherine
    June 14th, 2010 at 6:52 pm

Hi may i know wat is the proportion of flour and water? for flour, should i use rice flour or all purpose flour..tks for your help..

June 15th, 2010 at 11:32 am

Catherine : Just use all purpose flour. Knead it to a texture like roti canai dough.

June 15th, 2010 at 11:36 am

Paulina : :D

Mion
    October 6th, 2011 at 3:53 pm

Hi i tried makin tis , adding an egg to th dough but th mee hoon kueh turns out to be too springy . I don know how to explain it but it just isnt like wad we eat outside .. Any idea wad went wrong ?

1. Dumplings « 553
  2. Melaka Homemade Heritage Mee Hoon Kueh – Restaurant Zu Chuan??????????? | Malacca Top 3