4 angle fish sauce

I bought a small bottle of fish sauce recently though I have never used fish sauce in my cooking before. In fact, I don’t even know what it tastes like. Having bought and tasted it straight from the bottle, it was kinda slight saltish in taste.

Anyway, this dish was yet, another experiment for me. We had a small bunch of four-angled beans in the fridge and I thought I would just give this a try. I was blown away by the result and beaming from ear to ear as I happily crunched this during dinner. I don’t know if anyone else has cooked this before or something similar…but I think if you can get your hands on these ingredients, you should give it a go.

This is my recipe for Stir Fried Crunchy Four-Angled Beans with Fish Sauce

• 200 grammes of four-angled beans (sliced thinly)
  • 5 to 10 bulbs shallots (sliced thinly)
  • approximately 30 grammes dried prawns (about 15 to 20 pieces, soak for 5 minutes)
  • 2 tablespoons of palm oil

• 1 to 2 teaspoons fish sauce
  • 1/2 to 1 tablespoon of sugar

Heat oil in wok and fry shallots till golden brown. Push fried shallots to the side of the wok. Add dried prawns and stir fry for 30 seconds till fragrant. Return the fried shallots to the dried prawns and add four-angled beans.

Stir well and add seasoning. Sprinkle one or two tablespoons of water if you want the four-angled beans a little moist. As the four-angled beans can be eaten raw, the cooking time is up to you. I like mine crunchy, so I only give it a couple of stir to ensure the seasoning is mixed well. The next time I cook this, I will try to add a squeeze of lime for a little tang to it.

Technorati Tags: Recipe, Vegetable, Chinese, Fish Sauce

Comments

Tummythoz
    January 23rd, 2007 at 5:30 pm

Started using fish sauce a couple of years back. Was introduced by a Thai hawker. Try frying noodles with it. M drooling just thinking of the taste!

January 23rd, 2007 at 5:34 pm

Tummythoz : I must try frying noodles with it πŸ˜‰

et
    January 23rd, 2007 at 10:38 pm

Hi there!
    I’m currently using a hot plate together with a flat-bottomed wok for cooking, and I always have problems with fried shallots, in that they either get burnt or they take loads of time to become crispy, and sometimes even when they do turn golden brown there is only very little crisp in the shallots. Any ideas on how to correct this? Thank you for your time and may I say again that you have a great site going here πŸ™‚

Cheers,
    et

January 24th, 2007 at 6:04 am

Need to find out what is 4-angled beans…:O
    quick and easy…looks good!

January 24th, 2007 at 10:53 am

et : Hi et! You might want to try the following:-

1) ensure the shallots are sliced really really thin (wafer like)

2) ensure that the oil is really hot before frying (you can dip a wooden chopstick into the oil. If bubbles form from the chopstick, it is hot enough).

3) when you add the shallots into the oil, reduce heat by half (to prevent burning) or stir as fast as possible to ensure even frying.

Tell me if it works, ya?

Thanks for coming by and hope to see you again πŸ™‚

tigerfish : Do a wikipedia πŸ™‚

MeltingWok
    January 24th, 2007 at 6:51 pm

my my, I haven’t had them in ages. I saw some at the asian market, totally forgot all bout it just when I m figuring out what veges to eat..gosh, u’re good, thanks πŸ™‚

et
    January 24th, 2007 at 10:01 pm

i haven’t gotten the motivation to cook much recently but i promise to post the results when i do! πŸ™‚ thx a lot for your effort and be sure that i’ll be visiting frequently πŸ™‚

to great food,
    et

January 25th, 2007 at 6:43 am

Teacher, I thought can take short-cut mah….
    ok, i will do a search…

Hey, finally, your “jaga” let me in….

January 25th, 2007 at 8:31 am

MeltingWok : Time to revive the old taste buds πŸ™‚

et : Yeah, sometimes I do get these periods of lull when I don’t know what to cook…that’s when I start scouring the net for some ideas πŸ™‚

tigerfish : I had to give the “jaga” a couple of spanking to ensure it recognises this fish “tiger-wannabe”. πŸ˜‰

babe_kl
    January 25th, 2007 at 2:36 pm

never knew can use fish sauce this way haha ok will try one day

January 25th, 2007 at 2:38 pm

babe_kl : I also just learnt and this is the first ever dish I cooked using fish sauce. πŸ™‚

simcooks
    January 26th, 2007 at 12:39 pm

I used fish sauce in MeltingWok’s Otak Otak recipe and my Tom Yum Soup recipe. Very shiok.

January 26th, 2007 at 12:41 pm

simcooks : Yah…now I can’t wait to experiment a bit more with this fish sauce thingy πŸ˜‰

Food-Fusion
    March 10th, 2007 at 3:09 am

Fish sauce is used a lot in thai cooking…ahh now that you have fishsauce, you just need some tamarind, (palm)sugar and chili and you can make yourself padthai! πŸ˜€

I found you a very simple recipe here: http://www.thaitable.com/Thai/recipes/Pad_Thai.htm

March 12th, 2007 at 10:48 am