mee suah kueh

Mee Suah Kueh is my wife’s recipe. In fact, many have not heard let alone seen this “cake” which is made using Mee Suah. The mee suah used in this recipe is the one manufactured in Muar, Johor which comes in little packets with red banner. There are about 4 pieces of mee suah in each packet.

This recipe comes in 3 stages. Firstly, to cook the mee suah in a wok, followed by quick steaming and then, cooling it overnight before frying it the next day. Despite the complexity it sounds, it is actually very simple to cook.

mee suah kueh pan

It is great for tea time and can also be eaten with rice. Dip it into chilli sauce for added oomph!

This is my wife’s recipe for Mee Suah Kueh

• 2 packets mee suah (8 pieces)
  • 50 to 100 grammes lean pork / chicken meat (chopped roughly)
  • 50 to 100 grammes prawns (chopped roughly)
  • 1 whole bulb garlic (chopped finely)
  • spring onions (chopped)
  • 2 tablespoons palm oil
  • 2 soup bowls of hot water

• 2 teaspoons of salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon white pepper powder

Heat oil in wok and fry garlic till beginning to brown. Add meat and continue to stir fry till meat changed colour. Next, add prawns and stir well for 15 seconds.

Add water and bring to boil. Add mee suah and stir well to evenly coat with other ingredients. Sprinkle the spring onions at this stage.

Add more water to just cover the mee suah so that it cooks in a thick and sticky soup (not runny). Once the mee suah is evenly coated, remove onto a stainless steel plate or pan.

Steam it for 3 minutes. Allow to cool overnight.

Cut into squares, dip into beaten egg and deep fry till golden brown. Remove and place onto kitchen napkin to absorb excess oil prior to serving.

Technorati Tags: , , Mee Suah, ,

Comments

mspretty
    January 26th, 2007 at 3:44 pm

ohhhh….mee suah kueh!
    give ur wife “thumb ups”..create such recipe!

have to forward to all my friend and ask them try on it.

Tummythoz
    January 26th, 2007 at 5:48 pm

Wah. Learn something new. Again. Have not heard, seen nor tasted this before. Got extra?

Suanne
    January 26th, 2007 at 10:48 pm

Sounds very interesting. I have to look out for Mee Suah.

Rasa Malaysia
    January 27th, 2007 at 8:36 am

My mother used to make this and I have completely forgotten about this dish. I am not a huge mee suah fan, but my parents love them. ;)

MeltingWok
    January 27th, 2007 at 7:21 pm

oh my, you are one creative stud..oops, your wife one creative lady :) I never like mee suah, and often times trash them when we get a bag of soggy one. This is a great recipe to do, thx to ur wifey for sharing, ya ?:) Have a great w/end :)

January 28th, 2007 at 11:42 am

Mmm…this is new to me. Very creative! :D

Bengbeng
    January 28th, 2007 at 8:15 pm

hahha..friend..when I see the excellent recipe here, aiya i paise lah posting my food post hahahha…excellent job u have done…I just gather the materials n cook haha

simcooks
    January 30th, 2007 at 7:28 am

I just spoke to my mom who said that not all mee suah is soft (she doesn’t like soft mee suah too). So when I go back to SG, I will see how she cooks hers.
    Your wife’s mee suah kueh recipe looks interesting…

January 30th, 2007 at 12:51 pm

mspretty : Try it! Try it!

Tummythoz : Makan liao ;)

Suanne : Hope you can get them there.

RasaMalaysia : Happy to know that your mum made this too. I wonder if the recipe is the same… ?

Melting Wok : Credit to wifey where credit is due :)

tigerfish : Mrs. PabloPabla ler…

BengBeng : No lah…no such thing as pai seh pai seh one. We all learn from one another. Simply wallop lah!

simcooks : Yes, she’s right. Muar mee suah is slightly firmer than the mee suah made by the Foochow community. Hence, this “cake” is better made with Muar mee suah. I suspect the mee suah which you get in SG are muar type. So far, I’ve only come across Foochow mee suah sold in Sitiawan, Kuching and Sibu where many Foochow people reside.

babe_kl
    February 5th, 2007 at 12:28 pm

hmmm this is something new to me…

February 5th, 2007 at 12:32 pm

babe_kl : Try it! My wife just made it over the weekend :)

chinnee
    August 29th, 2008 at 4:41 pm

yummy yummy….i only eaten the steam part, but din even thought of trying it! thnks for the tips!

1. The Momster’s Kitchen » Blog Archive » Mee Suah Kueh