Corn Soup

Chinese, Dinner, Pork, Soup, Vegetable February 8th, 2007

corn soup

Corn Soup cooked at home differs from family to family. Some use corn from cans. Here, I use fresh corn bought from the wet market. It imparts a natural sweetness to the soup, which I think is much better than those from tin cans. My elder daughter loves this soup very much and also enjoys having her fingers dirty eating the corn 🙂

This recipe is pretty simple and does not take much effort. It is best if cooked over a charcoal stove. I am very partial towards food cooked using a charcoal stove as the taste is usually better than those cooked using gas or electrice stove. Moreover, the slow cooking process using charcoal makes the meat tender and brings out all the natural flavours from the ingredients.

This is my recipe for Corn Soup

• 2 fresh corn (washed and cut into smaller pieces)
  • 200 grammes of pork ribs or pork suitable for cooking soup
  • 1 large carrot (cut to smaller pieces)
  • a handful of red dates
  • 2 1/2 soup bowls of water (approximately 800 ml)

• Salt to taste

Bring water to boil in pot. Add pork ribs and bring back to boil. Remove scum that appears on surface of water as it reboils.

After 3 minutes of reboiling, add the rest of the ingredients, bring back to boil and allow to boil for 2 minutes before reducing heat to medium low and simmer for at least 1 hour.

Add salt to taste prior to serving.

Technorati Tags: Recipe, Soup, Corn, Malaysia

Comments

February 8th, 2007 at 1:14 pm

Looks like what I eat at my parents’ place bac in Sg. Very sweet soup 😀

MeltingWok
    February 8th, 2007 at 3:52 pm

hey pablo, I never used fresh corn this way u know. Usually we get really good white and yellow sweet corn in the summer for grill and for creamy corn soup with ham, this is interesting, thx for sharing 🙂

February 8th, 2007 at 4:13 pm

tigerfish : Home cooked goodness!

MeltingWok : Must share and share alike! Hope you’ll try it 🙂

DT
    February 8th, 2007 at 6:02 pm

if only someone cooks that now for my lunch or dinner! we’re having one of the heaviest snowfalls since a few years in the UK..i bet that soup will do wonders in such weather =) well shared!

simcooks
    February 9th, 2007 at 7:03 am

This is one of the soups I would buy from my favorite soup stall in a food court in Singapore. Looks like you are a “soup person” too!

February 9th, 2007 at 11:08 am

DT : Oh yes, I heard snow is heavy in UK this time around. We didn’t have much when I was in Leicester back in 95 and 96.

simcooks : I don’t insist on having soup at every meal but it’s nice to have them once a while.

slau
    June 14th, 2007 at 8:27 am

My family leaves out the red dates and adds ‘wai san’, not sure why but I think it has something to do with boosting kidney function.

Salvatore
    September 11th, 2007 at 11:59 pm

This soup looks good. I think I had this soup in Hong Kong. I am going to make it for my wife. Great site.