red bean soup

Lilian gave me a very difficult task just before Chinese New Year. I was supposed to do something with the skin of Mandarin Oranges. Just see what she skilfully did with the skin of Mandarin Oranges. The thing is, the “trick” I am supposed to do with the skin is so difficult that I have to find a way out of it. Finding a loophole is what lawyers are supposed to be good at and I think I may be lucky enough this time. So, here comes my task handed out to Lilian :)

mandarin orange

Anyway, Red Bean Soup with Mandarin Orange Peel is not really a soup which is taken in a main meal. Rather, it is well known to be a dessert and is usually taken warm or hot. The Mandarin Orange Peel is added to give this dessert a citrus tang to it and if you can’t find Mandarin Oranges, oranges like Sunkist or Jaffa will do. Just remember to dry it in a fridge or left outside to dry on its own. Frankly, I don’t know why it should be dried but this recipe has been handed down from generations to generations and it tastes good. Give it a try.

This is my recipe for Red Bean Soup with Mandarin Orange Peel

• 3/4 rice bowl of red beans (pre-soaked for 30 minutes)
  • Skin / Peel from 1 mandarin orange (dried before hand)
  • 6 rice bowls of water
  • Sugar to taste

Bring water to boil and add red beans. Reduce to simmer. Add mandarin orange peel after 30 minutes and continue to simmer for at least another 30 minutes. (alternatively, you can put the water, red beans and orange peel in a slow-cooker and cook it for 3 hours or more / overnight)

Add sugar to taste before serving.

Technorati Tags: , , , ,

Comments

Daryl W.T. Lau
    March 5th, 2007 at 3:05 pm

Wahlau… this looks healthy man and a good way to make use of the gazillion tons of mandarin oranges all over the place… LOL!

Btw bro… welcome back!

lilian
    March 5th, 2007 at 4:20 pm

Very yummy wor, jadi lah jugak. Eh, Friday you cannot go ah? So sayang lah. Come by later oso cannot?

March 5th, 2007 at 4:28 pm

Daryl : Wah! You got gazillion tons of mandarin oranges kah? LOL! You can make perfume out of them man! (which was what we did in an experiment when we were in Form 4).

lilian : Phew! Luckily you lepaskan gua. Keh! keh! keh! As for Friday, yalor…I oredi informed Wingz that I am unable to make it on Friday as I’ve cell group meetings every Fri nite (gua cell group leader, you see) and meetings end around 11pm. This is the first meeting after the CNY hols. So…I’m gonna be missing the biggest blogger party in town. Boohoo!

MeltingWok
    March 5th, 2007 at 6:24 pm

my godd..talking food and work all-in-1 hahaha, *salute* ‘nyway, can’t live w/o this red bean dessert each time we go chinese restaurant here, always handtam 3 bowls b4 we go home..yums !:)

March 6th, 2007 at 4:01 am

That’s the biggest piece of orange peel I’ve seen in this dessert. Make sure to wash the orange skin thoroughly. Heard that got lotsa insecticide/pesticides on the. :O
    Oh, I love this dessert!

babe_kl
    March 6th, 2007 at 11:09 am

wahhh finally you’re back!!!! the best flavour come from teo chew mandarin peels. must dry under the sun till its very dry. then can keep them for a longer period.

March 6th, 2007 at 11:37 am

MeltingWok : Wah! 3 bowls of this after your main meal, kah? You betul betul can eat wan hor?

tigerfish : Big piece only got full bodied taste, heh! heh!

babe_kl : Yeah, back with a vengence! Got lotsa recipes to share ;)