abalone chilli garlic

Abalone is a sought after food item for the Chinese community and it is prized for its claimed nutritional value. Scientists are still figuring out whether abalones are indeed high in nutrition but for me, unless you eat it everyday, eating it once a year won’t make a difference to your health. Abalones are probably one of the most expensive sea-produce and it is no wonder that some countries are actively cultivating them for the commercial market – Australia and Chile, to name a few.

abalone

There are many ways to cook abalone but the usual ways are in soup and braised with mushrooms. Some restaurants offer abalone yee-sang as well. Be prepared to pay a premium for those. For those at home, one of the most popular way of eating abalone is to make an appetiser out of it. Get a can of abalone, slice it thinly and garnish it with chilli and garlic.

This is my recipe for Abalone Appetiser with Chilli and Garlic

• 1 can of whole abalone (slice abalone thinly. Use the water in the can to boost up your chicken soup)
  • 3 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
  • 1 red chilli (deseeded and finely chopped)
  • 3 pieces calamansi / limau kastur

Slice abalone thinly and arrange on a serving plate. Wrap with cling film and chill in fridge for 1 hour.

Before serving, sprinkle garlic and chilli over the abalone and squeeze the juice of calamansi over the abalone.

Comments

soowm
    March 19th, 2007 at 5:23 pm

Hmm…too expensive !!!, can subsitute with Pacific Clam??

Food-Fusion
    March 20th, 2007 at 7:53 am

You know, PabloPabla…i have never had a whole abalone like that…even though it’s canned but I have always dreamt that one day I’ll get each of my family members ONE abalone each as part of an expensive dinner one day hehehehe ๐Ÿ˜›

kc
    March 20th, 2007 at 11:03 am

Hi,
    Hmmm,abalone,yup I agree if you eat them once a while,its not get gonna hurt! They’re good!

babe_kl
    March 20th, 2007 at 2:58 pm

seriously i dunno wats the fuss over them??? tasteless unless one really know how to braise them.

Patricia Scarpin
    March 20th, 2007 at 11:14 pm

Pablopabla, I had to check the dictionary for “abalone”. ๐Ÿ™‚

March 21st, 2007 at 9:33 am

I just eat it like that, or top over porridge. Abalone got nutritional value one meh? I thought only cholestrol…heehee. Some people don’t like abalone coz of the “rubber-band” texture…very chewy. Boh gay cannot eat!:p

reeseboston
    March 21st, 2007 at 9:39 am

Hmmm………..sounds interesting. I can probably try it. Will it be alright if I use geoduck instead cos they are cheaper when they are in season compared to abalone (we dont cultivate them in Boston)? BTW, my next project is to make the roast pork at home this weekend. Have not been reading your blog for 2 weeks now and the roast pork recipe is very tempting! And the nasi kandar blog. OMG! I think I will develop a craving for it for a long while.

March 21st, 2007 at 10:27 am

soowm : Yes, abalones are expensive. I’ve not tried this recipe with pacific clams. Do you wanna try? I think sliced pacific clams might go well with crushed peanuts, lime, thinly sliced shallots, fish sauce and sugar.

Food-Fusion : This abalone was given to my mother-in-law by someone ๐Ÿ™‚ Too expensive for me to buy one too.

kc : Once in a blue blue moon, KC! LOL!

babe_kl : I prefer them in soup. Gives the soup real good flavour ๐Ÿ™‚

Patricia : LOL! It’s a delicacy, I must say. And a real expensive one at that!

tigerfish : Yeah, some enterprising porridge hawker stalls give you the option of eating royally by adding abalone slices and charge you a fortune for that ๐Ÿ™‚

reeseboston : LOL! I’ve heard and seen geoducks but have not tried them. You might want to give it a try but I won’t know how it will taste like. Happy Roast Porking!

Rasa Malaysia
    March 21st, 2007 at 12:16 pm

Wah, abalone…so good. In California, there are fresh scallops you can “pick” in the Pacific ocean. ๐Ÿ˜‰

simcooks
    March 23rd, 2007 at 6:09 am

Dunno why the Asian supermarkets where I live don’t sell abalone, only have topshells. So I brought over one can of abalone from S’pore.
    I want to make abalone spinach shitake mushrooms (a dish I ate at wedding dinners) but not sure what are the exact ingredients/method of cooking. You got any clue?