long bean medley

Actually, to be honest, I’ve no name for this recipe. The recent Chinese New Year was the first time I’ve tasted this dish when my mother-in-law cooked it and I fell in love with it. It is a stir fry involving the use of long beans, chai poh (preserved turnip), prawns and cashew nuts. When I came back to Kuala Lumpur and told my mum about it, she recalled eating this (albeit, with slight change in the ingredients) when she was young. Mum thought that we would not like to eat this and therefore, has never cooked this for us to eat. She used to eat this with plain porridge but it tastes good with rice as well. It can also be a snack on its own. So, suddenly, a long forgotten home-cooked recipe has resurfaced. And mum cooked her version within a week! But I will share mum’s version later.

This is my mother-in-law’s recipe for Stir Fried Long Bean Medley (which is a named coined by me)

• 1/3 bowl of long beans (cut just like in the picture above)
  • 1/4 bowl of preserved turnips / chai poh (use the sweet type and chopped)
  • 1/3 bowl of prawns (shelled and cut into small pieces)
  • A handful of toasted cashewnuts
  • 3 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
  • Warm water
  • 1 tablespoon of palm oil

• A sprinkle of salt
  • A dash of white pepper powder

Heat oil in wok and saute garlic together with prawns till prawns begin to turn colour. Add chai poh and continue to stir fry very quickly for about 15 seconds.

Add long beans and seasoning and continue to stir fry till long beans are cooked to your desired softness (minimum cooking time 1 minute). Sprinkle warm water during cooking to prevent burning.

Dish out and sprinkle cashew nuts over the dish prior to serving. (I took the picture above before cashew nuts were sprinkled. By the time my mother-in-law realised she had forgotten to sprinkle the cashew nuts, I’d walloped half the plate and rendered it not as nice for photography. LOL!)

Technorati Tags: , , , , , , ,

Comments

Jin Hooi
    March 22nd, 2007 at 5:21 am

looks yummy! *slurps* ;)

That dish looks ever so fresh and tasty! I love those beautiful colors…

May be u can name this dish as “Green Jade Medley” ? ;-P

slau
    March 22nd, 2007 at 7:50 am

My family uses roasted peanuts instead of cashew and we add chinese sausage (lap cheong) cut in small rounds. Optional, 1 red (preferably not spicy) chilly also cut into small rounds. We call it “dou kok lup” (?Diced long beans).

reeseboston
    March 22nd, 2007 at 10:05 am

Hey, the version with peanuts, lap cheong and red chillies, is the exact version of my grandmama’s. She added diced tofu (the brownish yellow type), together with chai buay, of course. We used to have that during the rainy days over a bowl of thick, hot, glumpy rice porridge.

mumsgather
    March 22nd, 2007 at 5:07 pm

Hiya, You’ve just been invited to my island in the sun. Please bring along some food.

March 23rd, 2007 at 12:29 am

That’ one creative medley!

simcooks
    March 23rd, 2007 at 6:02 am

How come u don’t set aside the prawns after step 1? Won’t leaving them in the wok and then cooking the long beans together result in overcooking the prawns? The only reason I can think of is that you cook the long beans for only a short while and that they are still a bit crunchy, isit?

Msian in London
    March 23rd, 2007 at 8:33 am

My version is – long beans, chai por, sengkuang cut in cubes, peanuts, dried shrimps sometimes even carrots. Everything is in small cubes and it mixed well with rice. Got this version from the mixed rice stall in my hometown, Ipoh. The crunchiness of sengkuang and long beans makes it a refreshing dish

March 23rd, 2007 at 12:58 pm

jinhooi : Thanks for the thoughtful name :)

slau : My mum uses peanuts. Actually, the ingredients can be varied to one’s liking.

reeseboston : Yes, these recipe looks to be “historical” as many chinese homes have it in yesteryears (before McDonalds and gang took over). I’m glad it brought back memories :)

mumsgather : Since got nothing to do at an island, perhaps and count the diced long beans???

tigerfish : You can create your own medley as well :)

simcooks : The prawns can also be set aside as you suggested. However, I like the long beans crunchy and therefore, cooking time is not really that long. Kind of like a salad dish ler…

Msian in London : Hi and thanks for visiting! And thanks for sharing your version as well :)

paul
    February 26th, 2011 at 6:52 am

i adapted it by using fresh green bean as the snake bean is not that readily available. It looked fabulous and went well with the peanuts. I also added a little bit of chili, well a lot :)
    great recipe, thanks

charnock0
    June 1st, 2011 at 7:43 am

That dish looks ever so fresh and tasty! I love those beautiful colors

1. Long Beans and Peanuts Medley at Hochiak! Delicious Asian Food