long bean peanut

Well, this is another version of the medley recipe that I posted earlier, which many readers are more accustomed to. This recipe uses long beans, toasted peanuts, chai poh (preserved turnips) and sliced fishcakes (there were no prawns at home on that day). The peanuts that were used are loose peanuts sold in supermarkets or wet markets and it has to be toasted in a wok / pan (without oil) on low heat till it is slightly browned. Other than that, this is a pretty simple dish to cook and can be eaten as a snack, appetiser or accompaniment to plain porridge (which many Malaysian chinese used to have many many years ago) or steamed white rice.

This is my mother’s recipe for Long Bean and Peanuts Medley (which is also a named coined by me)

• 1/3 bowl of long beans (cut just like in the picture above)
  • 1/4 bowl of preserved turnips / chai poh (use the sweet type and chopped)
  • 1/3 bowl of sliced fishcake or shelled prawns (cut into small pieces)
  • A handful of toasted peanuts
  • 3 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
  • Warm water
  • 1 tablespoon of palm oil

• A sprinkle of salt
  • A dash of white pepper powder

Heat oil in wok and saute garlic together with fishcakes / prawns till they begin to turn colour / brownish. Add chai poh and continue to stir fry very quickly for about 15 seconds.

Add long beans and seasoning and continue to stir fry till long beans are cooked to your desired softness (minimum cooking time 1 minute). Sprinkle warm water during cooking to prevent burning.

Dish out and sprinkle peanuts over the dish prior to serving.

Technorati Tags: , , , , , , ,

Comments

earl-ku
    April 9th, 2007 at 4:04 pm

yeap goes very well with porridge … would e nice if you add in some cili padi …

mspretty
    April 9th, 2007 at 4:30 pm

hehe..will replace ikan bilis instead of fish cakes.

Susan from Food "Blogga"
    April 10th, 2007 at 1:50 am

This looks great! I made long beans for the first time last fall after I bought them from an Asian farmer at the farmer’s market. I really liked their crunchy texture and intense flavor.

reeseboston
    April 10th, 2007 at 6:52 am

Hahaha! I just make this dish yesterday. I used soy though instead of nam pla. Taste good!

boo_licious
    April 10th, 2007 at 9:30 am

Hiya PabloPabla

Could you email me pls at boo_liciouskl@yahoo.com? Got something to ask you. Thanks.

April 10th, 2007 at 12:08 pm

I would eat that with porridge, my favorite. With the chai po, I think they go very well :)

keropokman
    April 10th, 2007 at 4:56 pm

Hmm..
    I never tried this before, but looking at the ‘medley’ or ingredients, it should be tasty.

April 10th, 2007 at 4:57 pm

earl_ku : Wow! Better get the fire extinguisher ready!

mspretty : Actually, you can use many different types of ingredients as you fancy. It’s pretty versatile dish.

Susan : Hi Susan! Thanks for visiting. Hope you’ll have a chance to try this recipe ;)

tigerfish : One spoonful of porridge with one spoonful of long beans. One spoonful of porridge with one spoonful of chai poh. One spoonful of porridge with one spoonful of peanuts. One spoonful of porridge with one spoonful of fishcake. All in, 4 spoonfuls of porridge sorted out by the time you get back to the long beans again. LOL!

keropokman : After eating this, can sing a medley of songs in satisfaction :D

babe_kl
    April 11th, 2007 at 9:22 am

oooo i always take this dish for my mixed rice, din know its so simple to make. the aunty dun use fish cakes but got dried prawns though.

Food-Fusion
    April 11th, 2007 at 12:29 pm

Mmmh…this dish would be great with some porridge :) Been a while since I had some “chook” for my meals. Thanks for imbuing the idea in my head! :D