ginkgo barley dessert

Ginkgo Barley Dessert with Foo Chuk is one dessert which my wife loves. It is known to be nutritious as cooling. Some chinese restaurants serve this dessert as part of a banquet, though usually for the more expensive menus because the ginkgo nut is rather expensive.

When purchased, the ginkgo nuts usually need to be broken either using a nut cracker or a mortar & pestle with a gentle knock. Ideally, take a toothpick and push the toothpick through the middle section of the nut to remove an “embryo”-like structure. This part of the nut is usually bitter tasting.

As for the foo chuk (soya skin), choose or ask your grocer for the soft type. The hard type is more suited for stews. However, even the soft type has different grades. Some will disintegrate very quickly during cooking whilst some remain intact, but soft enough to eat. The latter is the preferred choice.

This is my wife’s recipe for Ginkgo Barley Dessert with Foo Chuk

• 20 grammes of barley
  • About 15 to 20 pieces of ginkgo nuts
  • 1 to 2 pieces of foo chuk (more if you like)
  • 4 pieces of Screw pine leaves / Daun Pandan (washed and tied to a knot)
  • Sugar to taste
  • About 1 litre of water

Bring water to boil in a large pot. Add screwpine leaves, barley and ginkgo nuts and let it boil on medium heat for 45 minutes. Add foo chuk and sugar to taste and let it boil for another 15 minutes or so before serving.

Cooking time and amount of ingredients is approximate as it is dependant on your liking. However, the ingredients are essential, of course. You can make do without the screwpine leaves but you will miss out on the fragrance which it imparts.

technorati tags:
del.icio.us tags:

Comments

mspretty
    May 15th, 2007 at 3:59 pm

this is one of my favorite dessert….(^0^)

MeltingWok
    May 15th, 2007 at 4:50 pm

My godd, I totally forgot bout this beancurd stick gingko dessert ! This is just what I need right now, getting so pissy hot now 😛 thanks 🙂

agm
    May 15th, 2007 at 9:25 pm

Is this eaten hot or cold?

simcooks
    May 15th, 2007 at 11:09 pm

How does this foo chuk look like in the uncooked form? Like… how are they sold?

May 16th, 2007 at 4:26 am

My fav! With the ginkgo and barley. I made this before too but used snow fungus instead of the foo chuk. The foo chuk would have been so much nicer. I like this warm.
    Pst pst…..simcooks, the foo chuk can be bought from R99…look out for 腐竹.

May 16th, 2007 at 10:06 am

mspretty : Have a bowl on me 🙂

MeltingWok : I take it that you like it cold?

agm : It is up to the individual really. Some like it hot, some like it cold 🙂

simcooks : This is “tau ki” in Hokkien. Remember my tau ki bak recipe? Same type of thing but this is the soft type. Tigerfish just mentioned where you can get them.

tigerfish : Snow fungus also can. Take simcooks shopping 🙂

pluluwek-jocelyn
    May 16th, 2007 at 4:44 pm

hey pablopabla!

last year, i checked out this food blog that talks bout chatuchak market – jackson… n today i recalled bout d blog… revisited it n looked at more food pics… was surprised to have clicked on one link n it led to ur site here ^_^

btw, just to let u know that there’s a wrong word at ur ‘about’ section pn line 6.

tcare.

babe_kl
    May 16th, 2007 at 6:20 pm

i have a tip to remove the brown membrane of the gingko nuts, err i dunno the correct term but you know right the brown skin like thing after you cracked the shell? haha just drench with hot water after cracking the shells and voila the skin can be easily removed.

May 17th, 2007 at 5:18 pm

pluluwek : Thanks for noticing the error 😉

babe_kl : Oh yes, the ginkgo membrane! It is a pain to get rid of it but thanks to your tip, voila!

lyndette
    January 15th, 2009 at 9:42 pm

i like this one too!! 🙂 i miss eatin it!