pineapple tarts

My mother-in-law bakes awesomely delicious pineapple tarts and that is one of the highlights whenever we go back home for Chinese New Year. Pineapple tarts take up lots of hours to make as there is the cooking of pineapple jam (which can take hours) and preparation of pastry followed by baking. Usually, my mother-in-law will make the pineappple jam in advance and keep it in the fridge until needed.

pineapple tart pastry 1

Unlike some poor tasting recipes, my mother-in-law’s pineapple tarts have a nice buttery smell pastry which melts in the mouth. It does not crumble in your hands, yet it nicely disintegrates when savoured. Over here, I only managed to get the recipe for the pastry and will put up the recipe for the pineapple jam and baking time when I get my hands on her secrets. If you have been baking pineapple tarts, try this pastry recipe for a change.

This is my mother-in-law’s recipe for Pineapple Tart Pastry

• 1 lb. flour
  • 10 oz. butter
  • 2 to 3 egg yolks
  • Some cold water
  • 4 teaspoon castor sugar

Sift the flour and add in the castor sugar.

Using the pointed ends of a fork, rub the butter into the flour until it looked like fine bread crumbs. If necessary, use fingertips to continue rubbing lightly the bigger pieces into finer pieces.

Add egg yolks and cold water at the same time and knead well lightly combine them using finger tips (rather than kneading them like bread dough) before rolling out to desired thickness between baking / greased paper. (The fork and fingertip technique is what makes the pastry special)

Use mould to shape tarts. Lightly dust the pastry and mould with flour before cutting with the mould.

Roll a small amount of jam into a ball. Press the ball of jam onto the tart pastry.

For baking, bake using Gas Mark 3 (160 degrees Celcius / 325 degrees Fahrenheit) for 20 minutes. When placing jam onto the pastry, take caution not to smear jam onto the sides as this will easily “burn” and render the sides of the pastry (the flowery design) darker.

February 27th, 2010 at 12:30 am

Hi again,

I got only praises for your recipe from fellow Singaporeans and locals here. :))

Can i have your permission to share the recipe with Singaporeans here in Belgium and Luxembourg please? I will post it on our website and also publish a link to you blog.

February 27th, 2010 at 12:05 pm

Jai : Sure, do share the recipe and tell them it’s courtesy of my mother-in-law 😀

Jackie B
    February 28th, 2010 at 8:10 am

OMG!!! Do you deliver? I have been craving these forever, thank you for recipe. Will have to try these out. I am hopeless at baking ;( but will give it a go.

March 2nd, 2010 at 2:51 am

Based on my experience and going for classes, salt does make a difference in your dough.If using unsalted butter add some salt. Ur pastry will taste much better

August 26th, 2010 at 4:58 pm

Hi… may i know de butter… is it the can golden churn or the bar….
    And the butter must it be chilled while we mixed it with the flour?

September 4th, 2010 at 1:44 pm

Could u tell me the recipe in grams? tq

September 9th, 2010 at 10:34 pm

Hi just wondering how many tarts does this recipe make approx? Looks good I cant wait to try making this. Thank you :)

September 10th, 2010 at 2:16 pm

ana : The butter is in chilled form. And the golden churn block of butter is ideal.

September 10th, 2010 at 2:21 pm

Serene : About 80 to 100 pieces depending on the thickness and size of the cut-out pastry.

January 6th, 2011 at 2:23 pm

Thanks so much to your MIL for the recipe, and you sor sharing with us. I made my 1st jam tarts last CNY, and it turned out well…am going to make more this year. Cong Xi Fa Chai to you!

January 11th, 2011 at 2:11 pm

Hi! I’m looking to make my own pineapple tarts this year for CNY, and after doing some research it seems that the majority of recipes for making pineapple tarts have been adapted/based on your recipe, so I’m going to follow yours. Just a quick question, how many tarts does this pastry yield?

January 11th, 2011 at 2:15 pm

Lianne : It very much depends on the thickness of the pastry that you roll out and the size of your cookie cutter. Since the pineapple jam is prepared in advance (and extras can be stored), try this recipe out and see how many you can make.

January 20th, 2011 at 4:46 pm

Hi Hochiak, this is the first time I tried to bake pineapple tarts & I found your recipe in the website. My first attempt in making the pastry n jam was very successful, it’s very soft n tasted very good and now I’m making my second batch of tarts to giveaway. Thank you very much for sharing the recipe generously.

April 14th, 2011 at 1:53 pm

Made the tarts today. Yumms, the only thing i did was to add lemon juice instead of water. Great job, Love you blog btw.

January 10th, 2012 at 2:11 pm

Hi baking it yesterday and it turn out bad! Do not know what happened, the dough is so soft! I try baking it in the oven for almost 30 mins and it is still uncooked! I uses gulten free flour. Could that be the problem? It says cold water in your recipe but did not said to put how much.Please advise.

January 10th, 2012 at 2:38 pm

Maggi : Hi, I’m sorry to hear that the pastry did not turn out as expected. Try using plain flour as indicated in the recipe. As for water, a tablespoon should suffice. My mother-in-law usually uses the egg shell to measure :)

karen lim
    January 11th, 2012 at 1:43 pm

Hi tks for sharing. May i ask how much estimated cold water did you add into the mixture?
    appreciate your advise as i dont know the amount of water to add.

January 12th, 2012 at 8:39 am

Hi, thanks for sharing your MIL secret recipe. After reading all the above comments, all the ‘estimate’ quantity of ingredients are clearer now. How about the thickness of the dough when roll it? I’m sorry I’m really bad on estimating how thick the jam tart should be. There must be an ideal thickness of the tart so that it’ll just melt in the mouth and will be cook in your baking time of 20 min. I’ve seen some that are very thick.

January 12th, 2012 at 8:40 am

Can I use margarine instead or shortening ?

January 13th, 2012 at 11:57 am

Karen : 1 tablespoon of water should suffice.

Kate : Please do use butter instead of margarine or shortening. As for the thickness of the pastry, it should ideally be between 3 to 5mm.

March 12th, 2012 at 4:00 pm

Hi Pablopabla,

I found your website through my friend FB when she post a photo of this delicious pineapple tart. I’m thinking of using this recipe to make some today and thinking if I could publish the recipe on my blog and link it to your website and I need your approval before I put up on the blog.

December 26th, 2012 at 1:27 pm

Hi Pablopabla

Do you think u can make the roll (pineapple nastar) using your recipe for pastry ? I would like to ry it as my pastry is very delicate and crumbles easily after baking.

January 11th, 2013 at 10:47 am

SL : This pastry can be quite crumbly and I’m not sure whether it will hold a roll well.

January 31st, 2014 at 12:23 pm

I made this pastry today and it was very easy. I’m not sure if I did something incorrectly or what but the pastry wasn’t as “melt-in-my mouth” as i had hoped it would be.

1. Chinese New Year Snacks & Cookies – Munch On These!
  2. it’s getting crazy, and we love it! « Bakerz.Log