steamed minced pork tung chye

When mum felt that I was old enough to handle a chopper / cleaver, one of the first tasks she delegated me to do was to chop / mince meat on a chopping board. I actually loved chopping and had the pleasure of seeing the meat being minced up nicely (sounds scary, isn’t it?).

For this recipe, which again, the photo does not do any justice to the delightful taste of the dish, you are looking at 3 ingredients only. Yes, 3 ingredients to make you happy. And they are easy enough to find save and except Tung Chye which is chinese salted vegetables which are brown in colour and comes in really small sizes. It is salty and you wouldn’t want too much of that. However, too little and the mince would not taste as nice. I guess it would be trial and error and depends on individual preference on the taste. Give it a try, anyway.

This is my recipe for Steamed Minced Pork with Tung Chye

• 150 grammes pork
  • A pinch or two of Tung Chye (or more depending on your preference)
  • 4 cloves garlic

• A dash of white pepper powder (optional)

Mince ingredients together and sprinkle some white pepper powder if you like.

Put mince on a suitable plate for steaming.

Steam mince till cooked (say, 5 to 10 minutes). To check whether it is cooked, insert a chopstick into the meat and if the chopstick comes out clean, it is cooked.

technorati tags:
del.icio.us tags:

Comments

babe_kl
    May 25th, 2007 at 6:26 pm

hmmm simple dish like this is the yummiest!

usually i will add a wee bit of soy sauce and corn flour. btw, last nite i saw on telly – steamed minced pork with waterchestnut and dried shiitake mushroom! i’ve done with the mushrooms but never with the water chestnut. must try!

decypher
    May 25th, 2007 at 6:46 pm

i heart pork!!! but pork not so good for the heart. :P

xin
    May 25th, 2007 at 10:05 pm

i love this! its even nicer with salted fish. But i dont like the smell of tung chye. Can really whallop alotta white rice with this

simcooks
    May 25th, 2007 at 10:30 pm

I wonder if tung chye is the same as giam chye?

bkworm
    May 26th, 2007 at 10:24 am

This is my kids’ favourite dish. They call it Chinese pizza! And it’s really super easy to make too.

The Expedited Writer
    May 26th, 2007 at 11:22 am

Oh man, i haven’t eaten that dish for ages! It kinda reminds me of my younger days …not that i am old, mind you :P

Btw, love the new blog layout :)

Rasa Malaysia
    May 27th, 2007 at 12:49 am

You changed your template? Quite Nice. This dish my mother cooked so often while growing up, but I can’t find Tong Chai here…have to smuggled back next time. Hehe.

big boys oven
    May 27th, 2007 at 1:29 pm

This signature dish brings a lot of great memories during my childhood time. Great old memories. Thank you for sharing it with us.

lilian
    May 27th, 2007 at 6:41 pm

Tiu lor, that site which stole your posts? She stole mine too and I had complained to the blog provider.

May 28th, 2007 at 9:52 am

babe_kl : I think the water chestnuts would give this dish a nice crunchy feel, not to mention natural sweetness. But in a way, perhaps it might not be suitable for this dish as this dish is more known to be salty than sweet or balanced.

decypher : Healthier than beef or lamb, I think :) Welcome to the Pork Lovers’ Club!

xin : It’s true that not everyone likes tung chye. How do you cook it with salted fish? Do you mince it all in?

simcooks : No, they are different. Just click on the link and you’ll see the picture. Judging from what Bee Yinn says, you might need to ship ‘em over.

bkworm : How often do you serve these pizzas to your kids? Not too often I hope cos it’s kinda salty unless you minimise the tung chye. But then again, it’s just not the same without the saltiness.

Expedited Writer : Glad to evoke old memories. I got to work harder now to get those old home cooked recipes out :)

Rasa Malaysia : Yes, time for a change. Of course, I learnt it from sifu Lilian.

big boys oven : That’s partly what this blog is all about. Come again!

lilian : Got my email? Diss her. He! He!

ParisB
    May 28th, 2007 at 12:06 pm

dayem! You made me want to eat it! You are TAGGED btw :)

Steamy Kitchen
    May 28th, 2007 at 6:18 pm

My mom had me mince meat too! I thought it was so fun. But she also made me pinch the tails off the bean sprouts which was not so fun.

May 29th, 2007 at 8:06 am

I will always pick out the tung chye if they use it as a garnish for porridge or sometimes fish ball noodles. I’ve had 3-ingredients similar dish too but the tung chye is substituted by chye sim (pickled lettuce/chye sim) :)

May 30th, 2007 at 3:21 pm

ParisB : Where should I run to…? Ha! Ha! Anyway, I’ve just got the stuff to write about but at the moment, no time ler…Can you remind me time and again, ah?

Steamy Kitchen : LOL! Yeah, the bean sprouts procedure was more like child abuse, don’t you think so?

tigerfish : Wah! Chye Sim rocks with plain porridge! Very teochew style :)