Stir Fried Ladies Finger with Dried Prawns

I am fond of ladies fingers (the edible one, that is) but I don’t cook them that often as it is not easy to find good quality ladies fingers (also known as okra) in the market. I prefer those which are tender and of not-too-dark-green in colour, usually not more that 8cm long. The longer and darker coloured ones tend to be older and more fibrous (which would be more suitable for curries and assam dishes).

Anyway, my usual style of cooking ladies fingers are with sambal belacan (chilli based paste) but when I have to feed this to my daughter, I will cook it minus the chilli. This recipe will be more suitable. As always, the key to cooking this dish successfully is to have a really hot wok with matching heat source so that the ladies fingers can be cooked in minimal time. The longer you cook them, the more juice (some call it slime as it’s slimy) will ooze out and the ladies fingers will start sticking to each other.

This is a simple recipe to try and will whet one’s appetite fairly easily. Have a good weekend cooking!

This is my recipe for Stir Fried Ladies Fingers with Dried Prawns

• 200 grammes of ladies fingers (sliced to not more than 5mm thick)
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons volume of dried prawns (pre-soaked in about 100 ml of water for 15 minutes)
  • 4 shallots (sliced thinly)
  • 2 tablespoons of cooking oil (palm oil)

• Fish sauce to taste
  • Sugar to taste
  • Salt to taste

Heat oil in wok and fry the shallots will golden brown. Remove fried shallots from oil and set aside.

Remove oil from wok leaving not more than 1 tablespoon of oil in the wok. Fry the dried prawns for 30 seconds and add the ladies fingers. Stir well.

Add seasoning and sprinkle some water (used to soak dried prawns) if the dish is beginning to burn or too dry for your liking.

Stir fry the ladies fingers to your desired crunchiness / softness. Dish up, garnish with fried shallots and serve with steaming white rice.

technorati tags: okra ladies fingers recipe chinese malaysia food
del.icio.us tags: chinese malaysia food

Comments

The Expedited Writer
    June 10th, 2007 at 1:58 pm

I have to echo Pamela’s sentiments on ladies fingers. Unless we live down southern of US, it gets harder and harder to find them.

But damn..it looks just like how momma use to make it..:)

Rasa Malaysia
    June 10th, 2007 at 2:39 pm

I really like ladies finger, but they are quite expensive here in the states and the specie here is shorter and “older”

June 11th, 2007 at 11:44 am

I like them with sambal belacan…yummz. But I think this version is equally yummy. I prefer them with a slight crunch.

June 11th, 2007 at 2:38 pm

Pamela, Expedited Writer and Rasa Malaysia : Wah! I didn’t know it is expensive as well as difficult to get these in North America. So, shall I put all of you into further agony but adding more of ladies fingers recipe into this site? LOL!

tigerfish : I like them crunchy. Even yong tow foo too.

June 12th, 2007 at 10:47 am

Cooking Ninja : Where in France are you? I was in Paris for 5 days back in 96. Loved it! I didn’t see the chinatown though…but I did dine at Tsui Hua Lou (or something like that) somewhere along Rue Vignon.

The Cooking Ninja
    June 12th, 2007 at 3:20 pm

I live in Nantes, a growing and bustling city but calm – has a feel of a countryside living. I might be moving either to Paris or South of France before end of the year. You should visit France again 🙂 Lots of lovely places to visit besides Paris like picking mushrooms in South during autumn or picking chestnuts, walnuts, pecan nuts fallen from the trees etc. hehehe … most of the French people try to avoid going to Paris.

The Cooking Ninja
    June 12th, 2007 at 3:23 pm

I live in Nantes, a growing and bustling city but calm – has a feel of a countryside living. I might be moving either to Paris or South of France before end of the year. hehehe … most of the French people try to avoid going to Paris. France itself is very beautiful … hope you will visit it again soon.

June 12th, 2007 at 5:17 pm

Cooking Ninja : LOL! My SpamKarma put you on the freezer and I had to unlock your comments. I’ve heard of Nantes but more from their football team. I would love to go back to France especially Paris because I did not complete the places I wanted to visit the last time (one of which is Versailles Palace).

The Cooking Ninja
    June 13th, 2007 at 5:31 pm

Sorry for the double posts. Yes, Nantes is famous for producing a few of the famous National players 😉 France ruby team is making news these days too. To be honest, living in France for the past 6 years, I haven’t visited Versailles too.

Manju Rajender
    April 15th, 2010 at 10:30 pm

Loved your blog and recipes 🙂 Would be happy to try some of your recipes 🙂

Matt
    January 24th, 2013 at 5:34 am

I tried your recipe and loved it! Thanks!