Homemade tofu is pretty simple to make if you have soyabean milk (unsweetened), egg white, salt and full cream evaporated milk (Ideal Milk). Just mix the ingredients together (according to the recipe, of course) and you will get silken tofu after steaming the same. In fact, the silken tofu can be as smooth and silky as those sold commercially.
Once you have made the tofu, the topping is pretty much up to your creativity. My wife stirred up four ingredients together and I decided to name them Mini Treasures just to add a little glamour to an otherwise simple home cooked meal.
This is my wifeâ€™s recipe for Homemade Tofu with Mini Treasures
- 400 ml soyabean milk (preferably unsweetened)
- 6 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 150 ml full cream evaporated milk (we used Ideal Milk)
Ingredients (Mini Treasures)
- 10 pieces prawns (shelled and cut into small pieces)
- 2 pieces shiitake mushrooms (cut into small pieces)
- 1 piece black fungus (pre-soaked and cut into thin strips)
- 3 pieces of crabstick (cut into small pieces)
- 4 cloves garlic (chopped finely)
- 1 tablespoon palm oil
Seasoning (Mini Treasures)
- Â½ tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon light soya sauce
- white pepper powder to taste
- salt to taste
- 2 teaspoons chinese cooking wine
- warm water
- Potato starch (to thicken)
Mix tofu ingredients together and whisk slowly and gently and try not to create too much froth. Strain the mixture with a fine strainer to remove bubbles. Pour mixture onto a suitable plate / bowl for steaming.
Meanwhile, heat oil in wok and sautÃ© the garlic till aromatic. Add mushrooms, prawns and black fungus and stir well for at least 1 minute. Add oyster sauce, light soya sauce, white pepper powder and salt and a little water to keep the mixture moist. Cook for another 2 minutes or so, add chinese cooking wine whilst stirring and finally add potato starch to thicken the gravy. Remove and set aside.
Steam tofu mixture for 2 minutes on moderate heat. Open lid and spread crabstick pieces over the tofu (the upper part should begin to harden by now). Close lid and continue steaming for another 10 to 15 minutes.
Remove tofu from steamer and spread Mini Treasures over the top. Serve hot.
My Recommended Recipes