Lap Cheong Omelette

Chinese, Egg, Pork July 30th, 2007

lap cheong omellette

This will be two omelette recipes in succession, the previous being fried oyster omelette. Lap cheong is cantonese for sausages. This is uniquely chinese and is usually available in chinese stores in western countries or at the market or dried produce stores in parts of Asia.

Lap cheong has a distinct sweet taste and the level of saltiness depends on the amount of salt put in by the manufacturer. There are many ways of eating this, fried, steamed or cooked with other dishes, which in this case, is used as the ingredient for an omelette. Lap cheong is, on a visual inspection, probably 70% fat and 30% meat content. Therefore, you don’t really need to use much oil when cooking it. As for storage, you can keep it in the fridge for a couple of months (which I have done). Definitely handy to use when you want to cook a meal in a jiffy.

This is the recipe for Lap Cheong Omelette

• 2 pieces of lap cheong (sliced thinly, just like salami)
  • 2 large eggs (beaten)

If you are using a wok, heat up 1 teaspoon of oil. Otherwise, it is preferred to use a non-stick frying pan.

Fry lap cheong for 30 seconds until aromatic. Pour beaten eggs over it and reduce to low heat to allow the underside of the eggs to cook.

Flip egg over once the upper part starts to cook. Increase heat and allow to fry for 30 seconds before serving. Garnish to your liking. There is no need to add seasoning as the lap cheong is full bodied in taste.

technorati tags:
del.icio.us tags:

Comments

ParisB
    July 30th, 2007 at 3:20 pm

Isn’t lap cheong – waxed sausages? :) And that looks like pizza!

Hinching
    July 30th, 2007 at 3:36 pm

I usually have mine added with some onions as well. Too much lap cheong is not healthy after all so I do try to use less. Two lap cheongs and two eggs seem a bit too much I reckon? Don’t you think so?

Tine
    July 30th, 2007 at 8:03 pm

Oh yum yum yum, my favourite. Remembered making a lot of this during my uni days in the UK :p Had to make do with a few pieces of lap cheong to last a whole year!

ginger
    July 30th, 2007 at 9:24 pm

wow.. i almost forget about that dish!!! so simple yet sooo hochiak!!

babe_kl
    July 31st, 2007 at 10:54 am

yikes, at first glance it looked like pepperoni pizza to me haha

August 3rd, 2007 at 3:07 pm

ParisB : It is waxed sausages. I guess “waxed” is a better name than “oily” or “fatty”. LOL!

Hinching : Some like more sausages, some less. This is rather salty I must say. But you are right, this should be eaten rarely rather than regularly no thanks to high fat content and unknown ingredients used.

Tine : Oh yes, a friend of mine also brought some. He kept it locked in the drawer as something really precious :)

ginger : Glad to have jolted your memory!

babe_kl : This is chinese pepperoni pizza wannabe. LOL!

1. Lap Cheong and Shitake Mushrooms Risotto — Restaurant Baby