sweet potato porridge

This recipe is nostalgic because it is what I used to have regularly during my schooling days. Sweet Potato Porridge is basically an “enhanced” porridge with the former adding sweetness to the porridge. It is, however, not eaten on its own. Rather, some side dishes compliments this simple but delicious porridge eg. ikan bilis snack or minced pork balls with preserved black beans. I usually have 2 bowls of this as the sweet potato somehow makes the porridge more appetising.

Mum usually uses the yellow-coloured sweet potato, probably because that is what is commonly found in the market. I think any type of sweet potato would do the trick. Try to get those which are less fibrous as it can be an irritant to have them in your mouth. This porridge is very simple to cook. You just add sweet potatoes into the porridge as you cook it! Yes, it is that simple!

This is the recipe for Sweet Potato Porridge

• 3 to 4 tablespoons of rice
  • 2 to 3 pieces of sweet potato (cut into small chunks)
  • Water

Rinse rice once to remove dust and dirt. Place rice in a pot and fill it with water (water should be at least 3 cm above the layer of rice). Add sweet potatoes and bring water to boil.

Upon boiling, reduce heat to medium low and continue cooking till rice turns to porridge and sweet potatoes are semi-soft and cooked. Have a pot of hot water ready in case you need to top up some water when the porridge dries out during cooking.

technorati tags:
del.icio.us tags:

Comments

mspretty
    July 31st, 2007 at 5:49 pm

sweet potatooooooo…..

this few day i keep having sweet patato…
    eg: sweet potato dessert and fried sweet potato yummy yummy….

sweet potato porridge……maybe this weekend.

August 1st, 2007 at 2:36 am

I usually pick out the sweet potato from the porridge and give them to my hoobie, so that I can have more porridge with the side dishes. Sweet potato in porridge tends to make me “full” faster. :D

ParisB
    August 1st, 2007 at 9:18 am

Yay – nostalgic :) been craving sweet potato soup

~Bee Nee~
    August 1st, 2007 at 9:53 am

I didn’t have sweet potato porridge =( Lots and lots of porridge though..

YogaJesss
    August 1st, 2007 at 12:29 pm

I prefer the orange flesh. Looks more appetizing.

As a child, I will mashed the sweet potatoes and drizzle some soya sauce on my porridge and mix well. Syok!

The Expedited Writer
    August 1st, 2007 at 1:04 pm

Gosh…the last time I had this was ages ago! My maternal grandma used to cook teochew porridge and she’s always add sweet potatoes into the porridge :)

Jys
    August 2nd, 2007 at 9:54 am

ya ya, i’ve tried the sweet potato porridge before..yummy…

carrot porridge also nice.. can taste the sweetness of the carrot in the porridge

August 2nd, 2007 at 2:26 pm

mspretty : Can always steam it and have it for breakfast as well :D

tigerfish : So, your hubby end up eating sweet potatoes nia. LOL!

ParisB : Oh, that’s another favourite as well. But I don’t like it when ginger is added. Bleh!

Bee Nee : You can try this out and see if you like it or not :)

YojaJesss : So, are my cousins having these as well?

Expedited Writer : I might be wrong but I think during the days of World War II, the people in Malaya had this for a meal (with less porridge but more potatoes). I wonder whether Sweet Potato Porridge is still popular at home nowadays.

Jys : The one with carrot? I feed my daughters :)

SueSue
    August 9th, 2007 at 11:59 am

I miss this so much. My grandma used to cook sweet potato porridge for us when I am young. Yours bring back my old sweet memory during younger days.

August 10th, 2007 at 4:53 pm

SueSue : Looks like this recipe brings back memories of grandmas :D

August 10th, 2007 at 4:57 pm

SueSue : It looks like this recipe brings back memories of grandmas. :D

Mrs Shinoda
    September 1st, 2007 at 10:55 am

Nope… my grandmother used to cook it but it was my mum who was the expert in it. It adds a tinge of sweetness to your plain white porridge. I always walloped all the porridge and dig out the delicious sweet potato.

Evie
    September 29th, 2008 at 12:42 am

Will try tomorrow for my 7mths old son :)

September 30th, 2008 at 12:42 pm

Evie : I hope your son will love it :D

Evie
    October 14th, 2008 at 9:24 pm

Verdict: he loves it :). I don’t put salt to his porridge at this tender age and it still tastes hmmm…sweetish yummylicious. Cooked this few times already! Thanks so much for sharing(nice blog, btw). I never knew hehe as my cooking skill is almost zero :(. Am trying to improve here :)

October 15th, 2008 at 10:25 pm

Evie : I’m glad he loved it :D At his age, it’s not necessary to add any seasoning to his food. The sweet potato would have provided all the necessary sweetness and goodness.