Kueh Chap

Chinese, Food review, Pork, Soup August 2nd, 2007

kueh chap

In Hong Kong, the movie industry has its 4 Heavenly Kings to describe the 4 most popular singers. For me, I have my 4 Heavenly Kings to describe my 4 must-eat hawker dishes in Kuching. Kueh Chap is one of the 4. The others being the Sarawak Laksa, Kolok Mee and Tomato Kuey Teow.

Kueh Chap, I believe, is hokkien for the word “Cake” and “Mixed”. The “cake” or kueh denotes the use of thicker than usual kuey teow (rice flour cake – which is like lasagna) whilst “mixed” or chap probably describes the use of a mixture of pork parts in the dish. In Penang, Singapore and Johor Bahru, I believe they use duck parts as well. In Kuching, it is almost exclusively pork.

koay chap

The flat kuey teow-like cake is cut into square / rectangular pieces and are blanched before serving into a herbal soup mixed with an assortment of pork parts (I like calling them spare parts), hard boiled egg and tau pok (fried puffy bean curd). The spare parts may include belly pork, pork skin, pork ears, pork tongue, pork intestines, pork stomach and lean pork. These parts are cut up into small bite sizes and offers a great crunching and biting experience. I especially like the skin, ears and tongue. Er…actually, I like all the parts. Just don’t feel horrified by my eating habits, heh! heh!

The soup is herbal in nature and probably can be described as a different kind of bak kut teh with a slightly more salty flavour. I rarely waste any when I have a bowl of kueh chap. The ingredients (pork parts and kueh) are dipped into a sour based chilli sauce and this makes it really appetising.

My favourite stall in Kuching which sells Kueh Chap is the one at Sekama (near Foochow Road) which is run by a lady. The coffee shop where the stall is situated faces a traffic light junction and it is usually packed with customers. This is probably the best or most popular Kueh Chap stall in Kuching. Another stall which is not too bad is run by a young man within a coffee shop located along Jalan Keretapi (now it has a long sounding name) near the cross traffic-light junction of Jalan Green and Jalan Keretapi. If I am not mistaken, there is an Everise Supermarket next door. During my last trip, I ordered 8 packets to take away home to Kuala Lumpur. The kueh was packed uncooked so that I could blanch them at home prior to eating. The soup and the rest of the ingredients merely needs reheating.

My stomach is growling as I am typing this post. I can’t get them here in Kuala Lumpur (there used to be a lady who sold this in Setapak a couple of years back but no more). So, I shall have to wait till my next trip to Kuching this September! Kueh Chap, wait for me!

technorati tags: kueh chap koay chap
del.icio.us tags:

Comments

Jason
    August 2nd, 2007 at 2:18 pm

JB is famous for this. :)

chris
    August 2nd, 2007 at 4:26 pm

wow…tht looks yummy…nice site btw XD

alice
    August 2nd, 2007 at 4:50 pm

You can get kueh chap in Pg. If I am not mistaken, in Jelutong market or Pulau Tikus coffee shop somewhere opposite a mall.

August 3rd, 2007 at 12:37 am

think in s’pore, I usually taste the porky version as well. hahhaha, food also have the 4 heavenly kings….hahahha what is tomato kuey toew?

PlatinumGirl
    August 3rd, 2007 at 1:48 pm

hahaha …… kueh chap lou.

“If I am not mistaken, there is an Everise Supermarket next door”

Wah lau eh ……. Everise already close and replaced by 100% super store like ages ago la.

August 7th, 2007 at 12:08 pm

Jason : They call it kueh teow kia ;) A bit different in texture and taste though.

chris : It is shiokalingam!

alice : Yes, I heard it’s available in Penang. But don’t know if it is the same.

tigerfish : Tomato kuey teow is like Wat Tan Hor save that it does not use eggs and the gravy is tomato based. Very appetising. I will try to get some pics when I wallop this food in Kuching this coming Sept. Heh! heh!

PlatinumGirl : Oh ya, yes..Everise there oredi closed. Now it is 100% Super Store. I usually don’t look at other things because my mind is tuned to heading straight to the stall.

Spice Girl
    August 10th, 2007 at 11:16 pm

I’ve ate this in Bangkok!!! Nice especially it has the chillie powder……..

naeboo
    December 10th, 2007 at 1:07 pm

nope. the best one is not the one in sekama. it’s the one in miri lixiang cafe. soup thick like black night. but super arrogant stall owner ler.

Amy
    January 11th, 2008 at 1:40 am

I live in USA. I miss alots of Sarawak food. Can anyone tell me the recipe for Kueh Chap? Thank you.

Kong
    April 18th, 2008 at 11:57 am

You should try to one sold at Yummy Cafe in Sibu. It’s right opposite of Ngiu Kee(if you know where Ngiu Kee is..). You wouldn’t be wrong if you see everyone at that coffee shop having a bowl of kueh chap on their table. I personally didn’t like the kueh chap i had in Kuching, i hate the smell of the extra spices they used for the soup.(I think it’s called wu xian feng in mandarin, translating it directly will give you five fragrances’ spice)

KAREN
    December 23rd, 2008 at 11:29 am

Kuching Kueh Chap is the best. There is one stall opposite the centre police station. The stall is on the corner shop. He used to sell it at Electric House 20 years ago.
    Is nice to know someone loves Kuching Kueh Chap. I missed it very much too.

KAREN
    December 23rd, 2008 at 11:46 am

Amy, I know it hard that when you can’t get all the Sarawak food. I lived in oversea too. I used to went to the herbal shop and ask them to mix kueh chap ingredient for you if you have a chance to go back

Daruma 老叔
    January 22nd, 2009 at 5:09 pm

Pablopabla,
    I believe “Kueh Chap” is actually a Teochew word rather than Hockkien term, although the word have the same meaning and similar pronounciation in both cases.

Kueh Chap is atually a Teochew dish.

KCH-702
    February 4th, 2009 at 12:43 am

I live in Las Vegas right now and to my surprise, I found Kueh Chap at a couple Thai restaurant here. The taste varies a bit here and there, just like going to different stall in Kuching. But overall, I gave them passable score since there’s nothing that can come close to it here in US…yet. So if you miss Kueh Chap real bad, maybe stop by some authentic Thai restaurant and ask around. I think both Kueh Chap and Kolo Mee were somehow originated from Thai or have some connection with them. I’ve pretty good experiance with Kolo Mee at a few Thai restautant at LA and Las Vegas. Some called it Generals Noodle and some called it Dried Seafood Noodle. Good luck hunting. :)

alyem
    September 14th, 2009 at 4:26 pm

Nice Food but where’s the location??

September 28th, 2009 at 10:14 am

alyem : It’s described up there.

Beverly
    May 30th, 2010 at 2:12 am

yea, I agree!! the BEST kueh chap is at Sekama, and that lady is still there.All these years, her kueh chap never changes.I always eat her kueh chap everytime I go back home.

Jas
    August 23rd, 2010 at 5:53 pm

Hi

Just wondering if you received any kuey chap receipe and if you could share it with me please? Thanks

September 10th, 2010 at 2:16 pm

Jas : Sorry. I don’t have the recipe.

Collin Wong
    December 15th, 2010 at 9:42 am

Actually there is a stall in SS2 selling Kueh Chap. The stall is in a food court called Sun Hin Loong. Not sure if it could match up with the ones found in Kuching.

Gloria Lai
    October 13th, 2011 at 9:35 am

I live in USA and I make my own kueh chap tell me here you live in USA?

October 14th, 2011 at 11:05 am

Gloria : No, i don’t live in the USA. Do you have a recipe for kueh chap?

santos
    November 20th, 2011 at 5:53 pm

but you should try kuey chap from BAU,kuching .. ..Chinese community in BAU,kuching have the best food producing skilled .. the best during my stay in sarawak .. are also skilled in making this Kolo mie, Kolo mie soup,and kuey teow tomato.. although I’m not a Chinese but I love and miss the food .. emm .. impatient to return to Sarawak..

flo
    August 14th, 2012 at 4:33 pm

very nice kuah chap serian market food courts.

1. Kuey Chap and braised pork innards