I finally got hold of my mother-in-law’s recipe for pineapple jam. This pineapple jam is used to make pineapple tarts. Prior to this, I have posted the recipe for the pastry for Pineapple Tart. I didn’t know that the recipe for pineapple jam is so easy…though it does take an amount of patience to stir the ingredients till the juice is reduced and the pineapple mixture becomes sticky. The good thing is that the jam can be stored in the fridge for a few months, which would allow you to make a couple of batches of pineapple tarts :)

This is the recipe for Pineapple Jam

• 2 pineapples
  • 250 grammes granulated sugar
  • 5 cloves
  • a dash of cinnamon powder
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice

Skin pineapple and scrape out the flesh. Drain flesh on a sieve for 10 minutes to obtain ½ cup of juice.

Place the scraped pineapple flesh in a non-stick pan and add granulated sugar, pineapple juice, lemon juice, cloves and cinnamon. Place pan over low heat and cook, stirring occasionally for about ½ hour until pineapple jam is sticky and can easily be rolled into a ball. Set aside to cool.

Comments

Rasa Malaysia
    October 2nd, 2007 at 11:26 am

OMG, they look toooooooo good I looooooove Pineapple tarts. Now this is my next baking project I swear. But I don’t have the mould, how?

Mei
    October 2nd, 2007 at 12:21 pm

Just a suggestion…

If you want a stickier jam, add maltose sugar and honey instead of granulated sugar. It also gives the jam a more natural-based sweet taste. :)

October 3rd, 2007 at 12:42 pm

Rasa Malaysia : You can use any suitable mould, which I am sure you can get from California.

Mei : Thanks for the suggestion Mei.

Kampung USA
    January 19th, 2008 at 8:53 am

I loovvee your Jam tarts! I think that’s my all time favorite. But I cannot get this molding for the tarts. Where do you buy it in Malaysia? My sister is going home this summer and maybe she can get it for me. Tell me where to get it? The moldings in California or the US all has other shapes like disney characters, hearts and so on. But your molding would be the right kind for this traditional tart. Pllleeeaaase do tell.

February 6th, 2008 at 12:42 am

Kampung USA : Oh dear! I missed your comment here in the midst of the others. Well, you can get this type of mould in most supermarkets in Malaysia, at the baking section. It’s quite common here actually. If you still have trouble finding one, email to me. My email is found at the About page.

Sharon
    June 23rd, 2008 at 10:38 am

Pineapple Tars are yummy. Who cares even though it will add to my weight, ha! Ha! I love it and will try this receipe . I’ll try all pineapple tarts recipe if its good.

Mary
    December 2nd, 2008 at 2:06 pm

Why do u need to add lemon juice for the pineapple jam? I’m so curious to know about it.

December 3rd, 2008 at 12:06 pm

Mary : I believe the lemon juice makes the jam easier to handle. Otherwise, it may be watery and thus difficult to put onto the pastry.

gnileo99
    January 1st, 2009 at 4:53 pm

Hi pablopabla
    I am just learning how to make the jam. I find that my jam tends to turn very dark after cooking it. Any idea why?
    Thanks

kelly
    January 11th, 2009 at 12:25 pm

what you mean by 1b of flour ?
    can anyone answer me ?
    and some cold water is about how much ?
    someone please answer me as soon as possible .

Elsie
    January 12th, 2009 at 9:31 pm

I’ve no time to prepare my own pineapple jam for the tarts, so I usually buy from either confectionary shops or mini-mart in Singapore. However, these jam tends to be too sweet and lack the sourish taste which is preferred by most of my friends. Just wonder if the lemon juice can help to “neutralize” the sweetness a little to suit our taste buds? If not, what can I do to reduce the sweetness or increase the sour taste? Thanks!

Spinney
    January 17th, 2009 at 11:44 pm

Kelly, how abt trying this receipe without water. 600gm plain flour, 375gm butter, 1 egg, 1 teaspoon of vanilla essence. I always use this hasslefree dough for the “closed” pineapple tarts. No castor sugar or water needed. I’m wondering if vanilla essence could be substituted with pineapple essence. Anyone out there has tried this subsitute?

Lee Kheng from Singapore
    January 27th, 2009 at 6:04 pm

Hi, thanks for this recipe! It is so easy to do and delicious especially the pineapple jams which everyone tasted compliments of its freshness! I cut the sugar down to 150 gm and the sweetness just right!

Carol
    July 27th, 2009 at 10:09 am

I love pineapple tarts, but have never bake in my life till today. I want to try making them according to your recipe. Please tell me the size or weight of the pineapples and the type.
    For the pastry is it plain flour or self-raising flour?

Valerie
    September 14th, 2009 at 10:34 am

Hi ,

What do you mean by

What is obtain ½ cup of juice. so how many cups? How big is your cup?ml?

Shatzy
    September 18th, 2010 at 9:52 pm

I tried this recipe out and made the jam a little thicker than what it looks like in the pic. Turns out i can roll the jam into the pastry and make little balls of pineapple filled tarts! and they actually tasted better than the flower motif ones that i also made, becoz the jam stays soft wrapped inside the pastry.

Cerry from nz
    November 8th, 2010 at 6:43 am

Hi there,

Do u bake the jam with the pastry?

November 21st, 2010 at 9:31 pm

Cerry : Yes, bake both.

kate
    January 18th, 2011 at 5:17 am

do you know if canned pineapples works the same? it’s hard to find pineapples in where i am :P quite seasonal if not expensive

January 18th, 2011 at 10:48 am

Kate : I’m afraid it won’t. And you’ll need dozens of cans to cook them before they reduce into sticky jam.

Elaine
    January 20th, 2011 at 2:02 pm

Hi thank you for sharing the recipe! I would like to try this recipe out however, i have some questions. How do you add the cloves? Do I need to groung it until it becomes fine or powdery and add it in? If i only need to add it in without grounding it, do i need to take it out after the jam is done? I’m really confuse, please help me. Thanks in advance =)

Singaporean in Vancouver, Canada
    January 23rd, 2011 at 10:46 am

In respond to gnileo99:

The jam could have darken due to a couple of reasons:
    1) The protein in the pineapple denatures due to the cooking process. Like how raw egg whites turns from colorless to white is due to the denaturation of it’s protein.
    2) The sugar is probably caramelizing, which is also a really natural process.

I have made this jam, and I feel that 250g of sugar makes it super sweet; this is probably because the pineapple I’ve bought is pretty sweet itself.
    The sugar amount should be altered depending on the natural sweetness of the fruit!

January 25th, 2011 at 10:22 am

Elaine : Use the clove in its whole form and remove it once the jam is cooked. It’s purpose is just to flavour the jam.

Asley
    September 8th, 2012 at 10:00 pm

Hi. I brought ready-made pineapple jam to make the tarts. The pastry turned out ok, but the jam was so hard after baking. Even when I tried to stick a fork in, it couldn’t go in. What’s wrong with the pineapple jam? I even mixed some water into the jam, but it was still hard after baking.

What should I look for when buying pineapple jam?

Thanks.

September 20th, 2012 at 2:43 pm

Asley : My guess is that the pineapple jam was too hard to begin with. After baking, the jam tends to dry up and harden a little. So, try to get one which is slightly softer than the one you bought.

1. Hochiak! Delicious Asian Food » Blog Archive » The Best of Delicious Asian Food 2007
  2. Pineapple Tart Pastry | Delicious Asian Food