It is mind boggling the variety of fried rice dishes out there. With rice as the main actor, it is left to the imagination of the chef to add the supporting acts to create a fried rice dish. One of my favourite fried rice dish is the Prawn Fried Rice. The prawns give the fried rice a nice seafood flavour and comes with a natural sweetness which cannot be substituted with the use of any form of seasoning.
For this fried rice dish, it is important to use the freshest prawns you can get for otherwise, you will get a â€œfishyâ€ smell and will probably attract flies instead. Get prawns the size of about 2 inches in length (before shelling). Shell the prawns and cut them into smaller cubes. That is my preference anyway. You can leave it whole if you wantâ€¦ especially if you want to impress your guests with bigger looking prawns 😀
This is my recipe for Prawn Fried Rice
- 3 rice bowls of cooked white rice (preferably left overnight in fridge)
- 1 rice bowl measure of medium prawns (shelled and cut into smaller pieces)
- Â½ rice bowl measure of carrots (diced small)
- Â½ rice bowl measure of French beans (diced small)
- 3 cloves garlic (chopped finely)
- 4 shallots (sliced thinly)
- 3 large eggs
- 4 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 teaspoons dark soya sauce
- 2 teaspoons light soya sauce
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and white pepper powder to taste
Heat oil in wok on and fry shallots on medium heat till golden brown. Remove and set aside fried shallots.
Add garlic, carrots and French beans and stir well for a minute. Add prawns and stir well till prawns turn red. Push ingredients aside by making a well. Add a tablespoon of oil in the center and break eggs into the oil. Once eggs are semi-cooked, add rice and push ingredients into it.
Stir evenly and press rice to separate grains from one another. Add seasoning. Fry the rice for about 3 minutes and until the seasoning is evenly distributed.
Dish out and garnish with fried shallots.
My Recommended Recipes