Frankly, I don’t know what kind of seaweed is this that I cook. Since young, I have always known it as “Chi Chai” meaning “seaweed” in Hokkien. It is something sold in grocers in Malaysia and usually imported from China. The seaweed is nicely dried up to a round shape which you can cut to your preferred amount prior to cooking.

Mum used to cook this every now and then as it is such a simple soup to cook, not to mention the mineral-packed properties of the seaweed. Don’t quote me but I heard that it is supposed to be good for those who are deficient in iodine. Anyway, this soup can be cooked in about 15 minutes time. Most of the preparation goes towards mincing the pork with a cleaver but if you buy the pork ready minced, you only need to take a shorter period to cook this soup.

This is the recipe for Seaweed Soup with Minced Pork

• 1/2 piece of seaweed (soak in a large bowl of water and drain the water to remove impurities or sand)
  • 1 large egg
  • 100 grammes minced pork (marinade with a little light soya sauce and white pepper powder)
  • 750 ml water

• Salt to taste
  • MSG (optional)

Bring water to boil. Roll minced pork into small balls and add them into boiling water. Allow the minced pork balls to float to surface of water.

Once minced pork balls have all floated, add seaweed and allow soup to boil for 2 minutes. Add seasoning to taste.

Before dishing up, break egg into soup. Garnish with chopped spring onions if you like.

Comments

ParisB
    January 17th, 2008 at 4:02 pm

You just made me miss my gran! 🙁 She would make this every so often except she used ikan bilis (dried anchovy) stock which is fishier in smell but complements the taste of the seaweed. I like it for a light dinner too! 🙂

reeseboston
    January 18th, 2008 at 10:35 am

Looks good though I had had a lot of seaweed for the past 4 months. I couldn;t be healthier then. Looks yummylicious!

earl-ku
    January 18th, 2008 at 11:31 am

easy soup u can whip up in less than 10 minutes … with some pork balls … cun!

January 18th, 2008 at 9:30 pm

ParisB : Yeah, ikan bilis stock would make this soup tastier but I usually don’t go that extra step since the seaweed itself has its strong flavour.

Reese : Oh yes, I bet you’d probably had an overdose of seaweed over there 😀

Earl-Ku : Wanna try?

crunchasaurus rex
    January 20th, 2008 at 12:49 am

Yummy..!! i can’t remember what that green thing is called too. Fatt choy..?? let me know yah.. so that i can get my g/f .. in asia.. to send me some.. 😉 very yummy..!!

January 21st, 2008 at 6:56 pm

We used to have this soup quite often back home in Singapore. Very easy. To me, dashes of white pepper is a must before I have this soup. Heee heee

January 22nd, 2008 at 10:28 am

crunchasaurus rex : No. This is not fatt choi. Fatt choi is more strand-like…almost like hair. This is simply known as seaweed when sold in Malaysia. But I reckon you can use any other type of seaweed which are suitable for soup. Even those sold in Japanese or Korean cooking may be suitable.

tigerfish : Yes, this is very much a home-cooked seaweed soup. Do you still have them where you are now?

a wifey
    June 5th, 2008 at 10:06 am

can i know where i can get seaweed?

June 7th, 2008 at 5:24 pm

a wifey : Where do you stay? In Malaysia, we can get ours from the supermarket or even at some wet markets.

chablis
    July 17th, 2009 at 3:28 am

thank you so much for sharing your recipes with us. just tried this soup and was so pleased with the results, simple and yummy. now that my hubby and i are living abroad, we have been deprived of hawker food or mom’s cooking. amazingly, websites like yours, rasamalaysia and preciouspea have taught me to cook! thank you!!

July 17th, 2009 at 12:57 pm

I am glad you tried this out. Be adventurous and modify the recipes to your liking. You’ll be a masterchef in no time 😀

1. Simple Seaweed Recipe | Delicious Asian Food