Worcestershire Fried Belly Pork

I was cooking Long Bean Rice over the weekend when I had excessive belly pork (or is it pork belly?) to use. So, I fooled around by experimenting with it to see if I could churn out a simple snack with it. Tastes not too bad and my daughter loved it to bits (pun intended). What I did was to chop the belly pork into really small pieces and marinade them primarily with worcestershire sauce. Then, I fried them till golden brown. My next quest is to find a way to tenderise the pork. Any suggestions?

Meanwhile, this is my new recipe called Worcestershire Fried Belly Pork Snack

• Belly pork (chopped into small pieces – smaller than a clove of garlic)
  • Oil for shallow frying

• Worcestershire sauce
  • Salt
  • Sugar
  • Black pepper powder

Marinade belly pork bits with a little worcestershire sauce for about 10 minutes.

Heat oil in wok or pan and fry the belly pork bits. When the bits have cooked (but not browned thoroughly yet), add seasoning to taste. Continue frying till golden brown.

Dish up and serve after allowing excess fat / oil to drip.

Comments

IceCubeJunkie
    January 21st, 2008 at 10:28 am

Sorry.. not into belly pork.. ;)

Lynn
    January 21st, 2008 at 10:55 am

Ooh, I love pork belly :)

My mom taught me a trick to tenderize minced pork – use the blunt side of a knife to beat the pork prior to cooking it. I’m not sure if it works for pork belly though..

reeseboston
    January 21st, 2008 at 1:39 pm

Hmmm…..If it is beef, you can wash it under cold running water to tenderise it. Else, you can use meat tenderizer from a bottle. Or if you cook the pork first then braised it a little, that should do the trick. Like pot roast, I’ll cook it in a dutch oven, then chuck the whole thing in an oven for 4 hours. That sure tenderise the large cut of chuck.

January 22nd, 2008 at 10:25 am

IceCubeJunkie : Er….what about bacon? :D

Lynn : I think the belly, whilst sounding soft, is probably harder to tenderise compared to the other parts of pork. The technique of using the blunt side of the knife / cleaver is suitable for pork chops / loin. I do that as well.

Reese : Woah! 4 hours?!?! He! He! This recipe takes less than 30 minutes to prepare and serve :D

Sheng
    January 24th, 2008 at 2:32 am

looks tasty, will try. By the way can I substitute the sauce with L n P instead of Worcestershire ? thanks for sharing .

January 25th, 2008 at 9:58 am

Sheng : Yes, as a matter of fact, Lee & Perrins is a brand and one of their products is the Worcestershire sauce. Worcestershire sauce is also produced and sold by other manufacturers though I must say, Lee & Perrins is the most famous of the lot over here in Malaysia.

Leading the fight against anorexia
    May 20th, 2008 at 9:01 am

Why dont you try using a papaya based tenderizer? according to my friends its still okay

Ivy Lim
    May 23rd, 2008 at 4:12 pm

My mom uses cornflour to tenderize pork, not too much, sprinkle on pork before frying. Let me know if it works for you.

Thanks for sharing your recipes.

God Bless!

May 27th, 2008 at 9:44 am

Anorexia fighter & Ivy : Thanks for the tips.

Regina
    June 6th, 2008 at 6:14 am

I came across your website while searching for recipe for stew duck (Lor Ark). About the pork belly bites, my family has a different version: saute smashed garlic cloves, add in pork belly bites(preseasoned with some soysauce)and saute until lightly brown on the outside. Add in soy sauce (both dark and regular). Then add in some hot water (not too much) and continue to cook uncovered on med to med-high heat until the the water almost dries out. Check if the pork is tender enough. If not then add bit more hot water and continue to cook. When the pork reach the desired tenderness then keep stirring until the food is a bit dry and more fat come out the meat. Remember this is not a stew dish so don’t expect the meaty part will be tender like pork stew, it just tenderise the lean meat part enough without sacrifice the texture of the fatty part (Oh, I sometimes take off the skin as the skin tastes a bit chewy for my kids– but keep the fatty part– that’s the best)

assamfan
    June 29th, 2008 at 12:38 pm

You could try pressure cooking the pork belly piece with Worchestershire sauce diluted with water or stock and some spices (e.g. garlic, pepper, cinnamon or star anise) till tender and then chop it into pieces for shallow frying till fragrant.

July 4th, 2008 at 11:17 pm

Regina & assamfan : Thanks for sharing your tips with other readers here. I must try them out someday :D

Audrey
    August 22nd, 2008 at 7:39 am

Hi Hochiak, your blog is a pleasure to read! Your dish looks pretty similar to the “red cooked” belly pork I made the other day. Cook pork in marinade (garlic, soy sauce, rice wine, some sugar) and boil for about half an hour covered @ medium high heat. Uncover, stir to prevent sticking. Adjust seasoning and color. Stir in some 1″ long green onions. Stir for a few more minutes. Dish out and serve with rice or as snack. If done this way, the pork is tender enough while skin will be on the slight tasty chewy side.

Try sprinkling about 1 tsp of baking soda to tenderize meat before adding seasonings (it always works with lean meat pork and beef).

Good luck.

August 22nd, 2008 at 11:13 am

Audrey : Thanks for your compliments and thank you for sharing an alternative way of cooking pork belly :D Hope to see you again :D

Anthony
    October 4th, 2008 at 9:44 pm

Do you realise that Worcestershire sauce is basically tamarind anyway?

October 5th, 2008 at 5:09 pm

Anthony : Tamarind is one of its chief ingredients but it is quite a complex sauce made up of many ingredients. A great sauce recipe, I must say :D

Patrick
    December 18th, 2008 at 1:08 pm

Use about half a teaspoon of baking soda for a pound of meat. Don’t use too much or marinate it too long, otherwise you’ll have mushy meat with a strange aftertaste.

Simes
    May 13th, 2011 at 5:45 pm

Hi, to tenderise Belly Pork try fresh Pineapple juice. The juice is a potent tenderiser, the enzymes in it are very powerful. The flavour works very well with most far eastern foods. I would think that 30 mins in the pineapple juice would be sufficient for belly pork slices. I would also pierce the pork if in larger pieces.

Simes