double boiled sweet herbal chicken soup

This herbal chicken soup is sweet. Most herbal chicken soup can be bitter and kids do not like them. This soup, however, is sweet due to the ingredients used. With a combination of American dried fig, red dates, honey dates, gojiberries, dried longan, pei ji and yuk chuk , you can be assured of a sweet tasting soup filled with goodness. This amount of herbs used in this soup are estimates only and do not come under any special recipe from the chinese medicine store.

chinese herbs

The herbs used are from top (clockwise) – red dates, dried longans, american dried figs, pei ji, honey dates and yuk chuk. Kei chee is not shown in the picture but you can see them floating on the 1st picture above.

This is my wife’s recipe for Herbal Chicken Soup

• 2 leg of chicken
  • 700 ml boiling water
  • Salt to taste

Herbs

• 2 pieces American dried fig
  • 2 pieces honey dates
  • 4 pieces red dates
  • 6 to 8 pieces dried longan
  • Gojiberries or kei chee (a small handful)
  • 5 grammes Pei ji
  • 5 grammes Yuk Chuk

Clean the chicken legs and pour boiling water over it. This will help to remove some unpleasant “smell”.

Bring water in double boiler to boil. Place herbs on bottom of a double boiler and place chicken on top of the herbs. Add the 700 ml boiling water and cover lid. Double boil for 3 hours. Add salt to taste before serving.

If you want the soup to be healthier, you might want to remove the chicken skin prior to cooking.

Comments

fashionasia
    February 11th, 2008 at 3:55 pm

yum yum….i loveth herbal chicken soup! just had a bowl for lunch…

Mama BoK
    February 11th, 2008 at 4:52 pm

Pardon my ignorance.. but can you show me what is pei ji and yuk chuk..??

Welles
    February 12th, 2008 at 12:28 am

Mmmmmm..delicious!

Mrs Singh
    February 17th, 2008 at 4:22 pm

Hi, Looks Good! I assume all dried fruits are available at Chinese Medicine Shops. However, Ditto Mama Bok, pics of last two ingredients pls. Tks in advance.

February 17th, 2008 at 8:47 pm

fashionasia : Which type of herbal soup? There are so many types :D

Mama Bok and Mrs Singh : Sorry for the late reply as I was on vacation. I have just uploaded the picture above and hope it helps.

Welles : Indeed :D

GladysKock
    October 9th, 2009 at 5:12 am

I always adore Chinese tonic soup for its nourishing and comforting qualities. I brothed Chinese herbal black chicken soup today and it seems that my physical well-being is boosted. :) I can feel the sweetness of your herbal soup, judging from the herbs combination you’re using, honey dates, red dates, dried longan, yuk chuk… It’ll be sweeter if you use black chicken. :)

Elaine Friis
    December 3rd, 2011 at 12:39 am

Hi Pablopabla

I stumble upon your blog. What a great gem! Could I ask how do you double-boil? Do you keep the water boiling on high heat, medium heat or low heat for 3 hours?

Thanks so much in advance,
    Elaine

December 5th, 2011 at 3:46 pm

Elaine : To double boil, the soup is placed in a pot and the said pot is placed into a bigger pot. The bigger pot contains water which is boiled constantly on medium or low heat. You can get a double-boiler from some kitchenware shops especially in Chinatown.

candice
    March 12th, 2012 at 10:25 am

Hi,

I can see the picture however cannot figure out
    what is this “Pei Ji”. What is the Latin/Pinyin/Scientific name for this herb ?

March 12th, 2012 at 10:38 am

Candice : Pei Ji is pronounced in mandarin (pinyin) but i’m afraid I’ve no idea what’s the scientific name for it. I have a feeling the Pei refers to (is it North or South?)