Miso Tofu Soup

Soup March 1st, 2008

miso tofu soup

It’s been more than a week since my last recipe was published here on this site. I have been preoccupied with blogging about politics with the General Election looming and over the last couple of days, we experienced water supply disruption at our place. Hence, we ate out instead or bought some take aways. Incidentally, I went to Ichiban Ramen for lunch this afternoon and the bowl of miso soup which I had reminded me of the one I cooked about 2 weeks ago which I have yet to post here.

Miso Tofu Soup is a popular and common soup served in Japanese restaurants and I believe, probably in Japanese homes as well. Prior to mustering enough courage to cooking this soup at home, I have always thought that it would be a difficult soup to cook. Not any more. If you can cook instant noodles, you are more than able to cook this soup. All you need to do is just to buy miso paste (with bonito extract as part of its ingredients), dehydrated wakame (a type of seaweed) and silken tofu and you can whip up this tasty soup in a jiffy.

This is the recipe for Miso Tofu Soup (yields approximately 3 bowls)

• 500ml water
  • 2 to 3 tablespoons miso paste
  • 1 tablespoon wakame
  • 100 grammes silken tofu (cut into small cubes)

Bring water to boil. Add miso paste and wakame. Stir well to dissolve miso paste and allow wakame to hydrate and expand.

Lastly, add tofu and allow to boil for about 30 seconds before serving.

Updated (03.04.2008):

Thanks to readers’ feedback, the above method of cooking Miso Soup is incorrect. Perhaps the manufacturers should also provide instructions in English for the non-Japanese speaking consumers :D

Based on readers’ feedback, I gather that the proper sequence of cooking should be to bring water to boil, followed by tofu for about 30 seconds, turn off the heat and add wakame and miso paste.

Comments

fashionasia
    March 2nd, 2008 at 12:17 am

oh so apt! i just bought a packet of miso…but haven’t a clue how to make the soup!
    erm..where can i find wakame!!??

March 2nd, 2008 at 12:24 am

Fashionasia : You should be able to get wakame at supermarkets which sell Japanese food products. The dehydrated wakame looks like tea leaves.

buzzingbee
    March 3rd, 2008 at 12:11 pm

Miso soup…my favourite!! But I only get to enjoy it when I go for Japanese dining. Never attempted to cook it myself though.

Yup, I have bought a packet of wakame some time ago..but was wondering where I can get the miso paste?? Btw, I’m living in Penang :)

Thanks for the recipe!!

March 3rd, 2008 at 3:10 pm

Buzzingbee : Hmm….do you have Jusco in Penang? You might be able to find them in the supermarket. I bought mine from Jusco but they are also available in places like Isetan and Cold Storage.

March 3rd, 2008 at 5:48 pm

I never ever bought miso paste before so I have not tried making miso soup. I watched a cooking pgm recently and they say miso paste should not be added in boiling water and be allowed to boil. Is that true? Just add in warm water…hmmmm….

March 6th, 2008 at 8:04 am

tigerfish : Really? I don’t read Japanese and therefore, must confess that I could be wrong on the step. The taste, however, is just like what’s served in Japanese restaurants, I must say.

mrs b
    March 24th, 2008 at 3:37 pm

turn off the heat a while then add miso and wakame. miso being fermented bean has lots of good enzymes thats you want to keep alive. try to get the good quality miso, less salty and good for you

March 27th, 2008 at 9:55 am

Mrs B : Thanks for your tips! I have just done that though I can’t really taste the difference – perhaps the nutrients are better kept that way :D

mrs b
    April 1st, 2008 at 4:02 pm

you’re welcome. yes, shd be no diff in taste but you get the goodness of the enzymes. Actually I add a bit of organic seasoning to my miso soup, this should give you some difference in taste :)

es
    April 3rd, 2008 at 9:13 am

That’s not the correct way to cook miso soup. Miso paste must not be boiled that’s why the soup served at some restaurants is simply awful. Sorry to say that your cooking method will not create the oomph taste. Hope u don’t mind me saying so.

April 3rd, 2008 at 9:48 am

es : Thanks! As a matter of fact, I encourage readers’ feedback because I do not profess to know everything about cooking :D

1. Hochiak! Delicious Asian Food » Blog Archive » Miso Sweet Potato Shoots