sambal hard boiled egg

Eggs are probably the cheapest source of protein around, and quite a complete meal in itself. There are many ways of cooking it and hard-boiled is one of them. Once in awhile, I do find myself having a couple of hard-boiled eggs lying around which can be a wee bit difficult just to consume them in plain form (apart from dipping them into dark soya sauce or making egg sandwiches filling). So, one good way of cooking them would be to make an appetizing dish like this Sambal Tamarind Hard-Boiled Eggs.

Sambal Tamarind Hard-Boiled Eggs is one of those recipes which you can cook in small amounts for one or two meals or big amounts enough to feed a party. There are essentially 3 parts to cooking this dish and you can do them separately at your own convenience. Firstly, you need to make the perfect hard-boiled eggs using eggs which are a couple of days old. Fresh eggs are more difficult to get rid of the shell as the egg membrane tends to stick to the egg white. You will also need to prepare the chilli paste or sambal by pounding them or using a blender. I prefer pounding as I prefer the sambal paste slightly “rough”. And finally, the cooking process which does not take all that long.

This easy Sambal Tamarind Hard-Boiled Eggs recipe is appetizing because it uses tamarind juice to give it a slightly tangy taste to the otherwise flat chilli base. The liberal use of onions gives it a natural sweetness though sugar is also used. If you can find cili boh (chilli paste), that will save a bit of time for you. Otherwise, blend red chilli (seeded) with the rest of the ingredients. Experiment by yourself especially on the amount of chilli, tamarind and sugar to use. If you are looking for an easy or simple sambal hard-boiled eggs recipe or wondering how to cook sambal eggs, try this.

This is my recipe for Sambal Tamarind Hard-Boiled Eggs

• 4 hard-boiled eggs
  • 500 ml tamarind juice (mix water with tamarind seeds and use the juice)
  • 5 tablespoons cooking oil

Pound / Blend

• 3 onions
  • ½ bulb garlic
  • 4 pieces candle nut (buah keras)
  • 1 inch belacan
  • 1 ½ tablespoons cili boh / 6 – 8 pieces red chilli

Heat oil in wok and shallow fry the hard-boiled eggs till eggs are slightly browned. Do not over-fry the eggs. Remove eggs and set aside.

Add blended mixture to wok (with remaining oil) and reduce heat to medium low. Stir well until aromatic and gradually add tamarind juice tablespoon by tablespoon. Add salt and sugar to taste. Once all tamarind juice has been added, return fried eggs to the tamarind sambal mixture, coat evenly and allow to boil until sambal is reduced in liquid.

Serve with rice or noodles.

Comments

KY
    March 26th, 2008 at 3:22 am

This recipe sounds yummy and easy to make! I’ve bought some tamarind but couldn’t think of any recipe to come with it besides laksa.

Will try this out! As for candle nut, can I use grounded peanuts instead?

March 27th, 2008 at 9:58 am

KY : Erm….I don’t think grounded peanuts would be suitable. Just my gut feeling. Omit the candle nuts if you can’t find them. It should be okay :D

March 27th, 2008 at 5:23 pm

Don’t have easy access to tamarind. I’ve tried sambal chili eggs before. Maybe I’ll do that again ;P

March 27th, 2008 at 5:49 pm

tigerfish : Experiment with lime / calamansi juice instead ;)

keropokman
    March 29th, 2008 at 10:31 am

this looks tempting. another food that i have not been having for a long time!

i will cook it with more onions, so i can use it for other dishes ;-)

Jojo
    March 30th, 2008 at 6:09 pm

Hi
    Like your recipe but too bad it cannot be printed. Do you think you can do something. Like to print it out and do a file.

Jo

Sheng
    March 30th, 2008 at 9:18 pm

Hi Plb

Thanks for sharing all the wonderful recipes.

By the way, do you have recipe for Kiam Chai (salted vegetable). Appreciate if you can assist . Thanks again. Regards : Jennie

March 31st, 2008 at 4:50 pm

keropokman : Yes! More onions means more paste. More paste means more stuffs you can do with it :D

Jojo : Thanks for your valuable feedback. As a matter of fact, I am presently looking into enabling a printing feature for the recipes.

Sheng / Jennie : There are two recipes here which feature salted vegetable. One is the Kiam Chye Tofu Soup and the other is Stir fried stingray with taucheo chilli and salted vegetables. Hope the recipes would be of interest to you.

Sheng
    April 3rd, 2008 at 12:29 am

Hi Plb

Thanks for the two recipes, i will try them .

I mean I would like to make preserved mustard leaves (kiam chye). Wonder if you can help. Perhaps your mother-in-law can help…. thanks again

Jennie

reeseboston
    April 3rd, 2008 at 9:35 am

Sambal egg!!!!!!!Yum….I have not had that for a very long while now. Too busy with school. Trying to finish my thesis and tons of assignment.

April 3rd, 2008 at 9:50 am

Sheng : Sorry. I have the luxury of buying them from the market anytime I want them. Perhaps Google might assist?

Reese : Eh! Still need to study ah? I thought finish liao… *scratch head*

mycookinghut
    April 7th, 2008 at 6:06 am

Yum. This is definitely a superb way to eat hard boiled eggs!!

April 9th, 2008 at 10:21 am

mycookinghut : Resistance is futile :D

reeseboston
    April 9th, 2008 at 10:57 am

Final term. It will end on April 30th. Working on my job interview now. Headache!

dp
    April 22nd, 2008 at 4:16 am

This looks delicious and just up my alley. I’ll have to research what candle nut and belacan are and where to get them…

Marc @ NoRecipes
    April 22nd, 2008 at 8:45 am

Ooooo that looks delicious!

April 23rd, 2008 at 3:23 pm

dp : I hope you can get them where you are. Worst case scenario – omit both though it can taste a bit flat without them.

Marc : Thank you :D

Tom Aarons
    July 25th, 2008 at 11:11 pm

Thank you. That looks so simply and completely delicious. Seeing dp’s comment there, I can say I’ve sometimes used Brazil nuts when I couldn’t get candle nuts.

July 27th, 2008 at 11:27 pm

Tom : Heh! Heh! The only time I have Brazil nuts is when I have chocolates :)

mrs.hamaz
    November 20th, 2008 at 11:32 pm

hey cool recipe just want to know what candle nuts and belacan means… thanx

kavitha ranjan
    February 3rd, 2009 at 6:55 pm

yummy really very very tasty.tnk u for the wonderful recipe.