Soong Kee Beef Ball Restaurant

A friend of mine brought me to try Restoran Soong Kee Beef Ball Mee at Kuala Lumpur a couple of months back and I found that it is excellent. So, yesterday gave me an opportunity to revisit Restoran Soong Kee for dinner as well as to take some photographs to share it here.

Soong Kee Beef Ball Chef

Restoran Soong Kee is located as a corner lot at No. 3, Jalan Tun Tan Siew Sin (previously known as Jln Silang) in Kuala Lumpur. There is a RHB Bank across the road. Jalan Tun Tan Siew Sin is around the vicinity of Wisma Hamzah-Kwong Hing and Bank of Tokyo as well as Lebuh Ampang.

Just like the Hokkien Mee place I reviewed earlier, this proprietor has been in this business for well over 60 years being the 2nd generation in charge. The cook’s biceps are well-toned which must be a testimony of the thousands of bowls of noodles he has cooked todate!

The restaurant is double-storeyed and air-conditioned. It was renovated in 2001. Seating is comfortable but on weekdays at lunch, be prepared to wait to be seated as the crowd can be big. Needless to say, it can be a bit noisy but hey, the food will take all distractions away. I went there in the evening and there was not much of a crowd.

Soong Kee Beef Ball Noodles

Their speciality is of course, the beef balls. I ordered a bowl (small portion) of dry noodles (mixed with special blend of dark sauce) which comes with a bowl of clear soup filled with 8 reasonably large beef balls and sprinkled with spring onions. The noodles are akin to wantan noodles, light and slightly curly. It is topped with minced beef and generous portions of choy sum (chinese mustard leaves). The beef balls are absolutely lovely – smooth in texture yet springy. You could have mistaken it for fish balls if not for the slight hint of beef smell. It tastes slightly salty but nevertheless, very delicious. Dipping the beef balls into the chilli paste supplied (which has a slight sour tang to it) prior to taking a bite is highly recommended.

Soong Kee Beef Ball Noodles Pricing

Pricing is quite reasonable considering the number of beef balls served. You can also order extras such as tripe, beef mince or even the beef balls themselves. Restoran Soong Kee Beef Ball Mee is open everyday except Sundays and Public Holidays. Opening hours are between 11am till Midnight.

You must try this if you like beef.

Addendum:

Just in case you were wondering why the pictures have reference to PabloPabla’s Whatever…well, this review was previously posted in my personal website. I have since decided to move it over here instead. I have been pretty busy of late with work. But fear not! The next post will be my mum’s ultra-delicious Popiah recipe! It’s a very complex recipe but if you are up to the challenge, it’s a guaranteed good bite!

Comments

judy
    April 9th, 2008 at 12:18 pm

My husband and I were at that restaurant last sept. We like the dry noodles there but prefer the soup beef noodle at the stall closer to Klang bus station. Your photo is making me hungry.

Yozoranitesky
    April 9th, 2008 at 3:32 pm

This is like about one of the oldest Beef Ball Noodles shop in KL..I’ve been eating there before they had the aircond place, to when they tried to keep the price per bowl but made the beef balls so small that it nearly collapsed their business, back to increasing the beef ball size but increasing the price per bowl by 50sen.. and they still remained my favorite beef ball noodles shop :)

April 9th, 2008 at 5:06 pm

Come to Taiwan lah, while I’m still here. Will bring you to some beef noodles.

noobcook
    April 9th, 2008 at 8:32 pm

yum yum I like beef noodles! the beef noodles @ KL looks very different from the version sold in Singapore, I wonder what it tastes like, hee. It’s pretty amazing to me that the small bowl comes with 8 balls! =P

Thanks for visiting my blog & leaving me a comment ;)

Aleks
    April 13th, 2008 at 11:30 pm

this is one of the best beef noodles i hv ever tasted.
    i love beef noodles. i hv tried almost 30 different beef noodles in klang valley. and again, this store has da best noodle and minced meat.

hv been eating at this place since my high school days.

alamak, hungry dy!!!! ekekekekeke….

Aleks
    April 13th, 2008 at 11:34 pm

oh ya, last time, no air cond, no nice tiling… jus some old shop, and a big tree next to it…

the taste is still as good as ever!!!

April 13th, 2008 at 11:43 pm

judy : Yes, there is another beef noodle stall near the Klang Bus Station. Looks good :D

tigerfish : Taiwanese beef noodle very famous, hor? :D

noobcook : If you take a trip to KL, do try this. And yes, you will get 8 beefballs :)

Aleks : Wah…I better keep the cows away from you man! When u r in town, lemme know lah. We got lunch there ;)

April 13th, 2008 at 11:45 pm

Yozoranitesky : I think the 50 sens is a small price to pay for such delicious beef balls, yes? :D

BHPee
    March 7th, 2010 at 6:55 pm

I ate there since 9 yrs back.after moved to penang,seldom eat there,
    but whenever i step down in kl,d FIRST MEAL i wanna eat most is SONG KEE’s Noodle!!!!
    will be coming down this end of March,gotta end my thirst there!!!!

hthoh
    January 17th, 2011 at 1:10 am

Any chance of a recipe for this dish?

January 18th, 2011 at 10:48 am

hthoh : Sorry, I don’t. And I don’t think they are interested in selling their secret recipe :P

Elvii Pelvisly
    February 12th, 2011 at 5:33 pm

Soong Kee Beef Ball Noodle is indeed ThE Very BEST of the best! I’ve been eating this since 1958. None of you mention it, but the Chilli Sauce is THE BEST in the world!!! I can finish half a jar of it with my Dry Noodle. Fantastically Yummy :-)

tk
    November 14th, 2012 at 11:07 am

I went there last year and couldnt find it , thought it has closed. Any idea, the shop is still around.