8 Treasures Dessert

Dessert June 5th, 2008

6 treasures

This is another dessert recipe which I was unable to find the right name for it. So, I will call it the 8 Treasures Dessert because in the dessert, you will find 8 ingredients, though only 6 are visible. Anyway, the name is not all that important because what is more important is the deliciousness of this dessert – especially when eaten cold.

This dessert is really cooling, and I don’t mean just because it is served chilled. With a combination of white fungus, ginkgo nuts, lotus seeds, honey dates, red dates and sea coconut served in a chrysanthemum  and sugar-based soup, you will clamour for bowl after bowls of this nutritious dessert. I would recommend that you cook a substantial portion to share because it saves you the effort and your guests are likely to ask for seconds. This is a dessert which is great for parties and hot days.

A point to note. The gingko nut and lotus seeds need to be prepared for cooking by removing its inner core. For the gingko nuts, you will see one end which may show a tiny shoot just about to sprout. Poke the other side using a pointed toothpick. Do not poke at the end which the shoot can be seen. As for the lotus seeds, the technique to remove the inner core is similar.

This is the recipe for 8 Treasures Dessert

• 15 grammes white fungus (pre-soaked and cut into smaller pieces)
  • 15 to 20 pieces ginkgo nuts (remove inner core by using a pointed toothpick to poke at the one end )
  • 30 grammes fresh lotus seeds (remove inner core by using
  • 4 pieces honey dates
  • 12 pieces red dates
  • 1 can of sea coconut slices (remove syrup)
  • 10 grammes dried chrysanthemum flowers (rinsed)
  • 100 grammes rock sugar
  • 1.5 litres water

Bring water to boil. Add chrysanthemum flowers and turn off the heat. Cover lid and allow to steep for 20 minutes. Strain to remove flowers.

Add in the rest of the ingredients except the sea coconut. Bring the soup back to boil then reduce heat and simmer for at least 30 minutes. Thereafter, turn off the heat and allow to cool.

If you prefer serving it hot, add the sea coconut slices after turning off the heat and serve immediately. Otherwise, allow to cool, then add the sea coconut slices and chill it in the fridge prior to serving.

Comments

Dan
    June 6th, 2008 at 4:00 am

I’m so glad you wrote this post! I really love this stuff, and have always wondered how t make it. Now I know!

June 6th, 2008 at 6:47 am

8 treasures – very auspicious name. I have the exact same porcelain “fish” spoon :D

noobcook
    June 6th, 2008 at 8:50 am

Hehe, this is one of my favorite desserts! I know a simple version of this, but yours is packed with a lot more goodies! I “cheat” by using those vacuum packed gingko/lotus seeds =x

June 7th, 2008 at 5:26 pm

Dan : Would you be trying it out? :D

tigerfish : LOL! Chinese have an affinity with the number 8 and bowls / spoons with “fish” motifs. :D

noobcook : Fresh ones taste nicer but only if you are willing to put in the effort getting rid of the bitter core.

Calvin Kong
    June 10th, 2008 at 4:19 pm

I also like this dessert a lot and in fact, I actually made this last weekend and customize it a bit by adding honey dew. Good way to introduce new flavor so that you won’t get bore with it anytime soon… hehe..

Check it out..

June 11th, 2008 at 1:43 pm

Calvin : It is good to be creative in cooking, isn’t it? Nothing derives more pleasure than discovering something new and delicious by your own :D

Crunchasarus Rex
    June 13th, 2008 at 8:32 am

Love this dessert.. when i was home. Cannot get all ingredients here. And thank you for dropping by my blog. I hope food buzz know that i signed up thru’ your blog.

June 13th, 2008 at 8:51 am

Rex : Oh yes, I was informed by Foodbuzz. Thanks for using my referral :D

Camemberu
    February 10th, 2009 at 11:53 pm

Yummm…feel like making this already!