general tso pork ribs

I still had some General Tso’s Glaze Sauce in my fridge and last weekend was another culinary experimental journey for me. I went to the market in the morning with the aim of cooking a simple lunch of chicken porridge followed by dinner comprising stir-fried spinach with garlic and a meat dish. I duly settled for pork ribs. As I intended to take a nap in the afternoon, I decided that I was going to just marinate the pork ribs and place it into the crock pot (some call it a slow cooker) and allow it to cook whilst I proceed to dreamland. This dish is simple and fuss free just like most of the other recipes on this site.

However, I do understand that General Tso’s Glaze Sauce might not be available worldwide, even in Malaysia. A thoughtful reader of this site, Reese, bought me a bottle all the way from Boston! Based on the sample recipe found on the label of the sauce, roasted pork ribs which were marinated in the sauce is supposed to be good and I believe it should be. I don’t have an oven with me and I decided that slow cooking would also be suitable.

I asked the butcher for meaty and tender parts of the pork ribs. That was the description I gave to the butcher. Unfortunately, I don’t know what it is called in English. Perhaps spare ribs? Anyway, I complimented the pork ribs with baby corns (I simply love their natural sweetness) and chunks of plump carrots and finally added a handful of chinese celery to give it a slightly herbal taste. Perfect! I had two big helpings of steamed white rice and ended up very pleased with what I cooked. If you can get hold of General Tso’s Glaze Sauce, try this recipe. It’s a no-brainer!

This is my recipe for General Tso’s Pork Ribs in Crock Pot

• 150 grammes pork ribs (chopped into 4 to 5cm lengths)
  • 5 to 8 pieces baby corn (sliced lengthwise)
  • 1 medium sized carrot (cut into medium chunks)
  • A handful of chopped chinese celery (optional)

Marinate

• 3 tablespoons General Tso’s Glazing Sauce
  • a pinch of salt

Wash pork ribs and pat dry. Place in suitable container and marinade for 2 to 3 hours.

Lay baby corn and carrots on bottom of crock pot. Place pork ribs on top of baby corn and carrots. Pour remaining marinade over the pork ribs. Cover lid and cook on high for 3 hours.

After cooking, place pork ribs, baby corn and carrots on serving plate and sprinkle chopped chinese celery (optional) over them. If you find that the gravy is too watery to your liking, reduce and thicken it separately in a sauce pan by adding a little corn starch. Pour gravy over the pork ribs.

Comments

reeseboston
    July 25th, 2008 at 2:27 am

Hey Pab! Good to know that you are so into the Gen Tso’s sauce. I will remember to stock up for you when I come home for hols next year. I’ll get you other sauces to try too and copy your recipes. BTW, I want to try making char siew sometime next week. Any chance that you know of a family keep sake recipe?

Alice
    July 25th, 2008 at 9:16 am

Fab! It is so easy and even can take a nap! Great recipe if I ever happen to get hold of Tso’s Glaze sauce. Would you please tell me what is the ingredients in the sauce and hopefully a pic of it.. haha… thanks!

babe_kl
    July 25th, 2008 at 11:44 am

thanks for another easy peasy recipe :D

TP
    July 25th, 2008 at 4:31 pm

Was happy to stumble into your blog to find you’ve been around for quite a while. Thanks for sharing your ideas here in your foodsite and your personal site.

Best
    TP

Ms.____ 2 be!
    July 25th, 2008 at 8:37 pm

Mmm looks so meaty!

billy
    July 27th, 2008 at 10:41 pm

This look really delicious.. I must give it a try sometimes, thanks for the recipe. ^_^

July 27th, 2008 at 11:24 pm

reese : Thanks for introducing me to the General. I didn’t know of the existence of this sauce until you bought it for me :D As for char siew, I don’t have the recipe at the moment. The last time I made one was when I bought a ready-made marinade sauce back in England. Back here in KL, we just buy the best roasted char siew from our favourite stalls :D

Alice : You can see a picture of the bottle in my Pork Chop ala General Tso recipe. Check out my site advertiser – Asian Food Grocer. They might have one.

babe_kl : I am more into easy-peasy recipes and the method of cooking here was learnt from you! Thanks!

TP : Welcome! Hope you’ll find some useful recipes!

Ms 2 be : I rather the meat than the bones :D

billy : You should. It’s brilliant!

Elaine
    July 27th, 2008 at 11:39 pm

Hey Pablo, nice recipe, droolage worthy hehe. Like you, I love using the crock pot too! Your version of general tso’s pork must be great with rice :D

Pureglutton
    July 29th, 2008 at 12:43 pm

I have not heard of this General Tso sauce either. Not easy to get hold of it eh? Sounds like an easy and yummy dish to do, if only I can get hold of the sauce!

noobcook
    July 30th, 2008 at 9:58 am

I have never heard the existence of this sauce till I read your post too … it sounds like the perfect marinade for pork!

July 30th, 2008 at 4:29 pm

Elaine : Oh yes, it goes well with rice. Do you use crock pot similarly?

Pureglutton and Noobcook : I think I should start selling General Tso’s sauce now. I wonder if Reese would like to be the supplier… ;)

babe_kl
    July 31st, 2008 at 3:22 pm

hey pablo, fancy cooking some noodles for this year’s Merdeka Virtual Open House? This year’s theme is Mee and My Malaysia.

babe_kl
    July 31st, 2008 at 5:26 pm

psst pablo, you can now go and vote to have yr choice of meats to be used :p thanks

reeseboston
    August 2nd, 2008 at 1:31 am

Haha! I can be the supplier. We will just have to figure out the order, shipping and stuff. Did you manage to find more of the furikake I sent to you when I was in Japan last year?

August 4th, 2008 at 1:54 pm

I’ve known General in the States but never bought it for usage before! :O

August 5th, 2008 at 11:13 am

reese : Serious? I will send you an email. By the way, I can get furikake in KL easily now. There are a couple of places which sell them. Thanks for introducing them to me :D

tigerfish : But have you tried it before?