shredded chicken porridge

Shredded Chicken Porridge is sold by many hawkers in Malaysia, usually by those who also sell Pork Porridge. Oh, by the way, in Malaysia we call congee as porridge. I understand that in the West, porridge refers more to soft food made by boiling oatmeal or other grains. Here, rice is used instead.

Anyway, back to our Shredded Chicken Porridge. When I prepared this batch (which gave me about 5 rice bowl-fulls), I actually worked harder to get a stronger tasting porridge than usual. On that morning, I bought 3 legs of chicken and got it deboned. I boiled the bones for about 1 hour and used the stock to cook the porridge. I only used meat from 1 leg of chicken and kept the other 2 legs for other use. If you are not keen to spend the extra work boiling chicken stock, you can use plain water instead.

The usual condiments to Shredded Chicken Porridge are ginger, chopped spring onions and fried shallots. Just sprinkle them liberally and add a drop or two of sesame oil and you will get a really nice and homely tasting porridge. By the way, if you prefer to have a smooth consistency, I would suggest that you first soak the rice for 15 minutes and drain before cooking it. Once cooked, and before adding anything else into the porridge, switch off the flame and allow the porridge to cool down for about 15 minutes. Then add some water and reboil whilst stirring. You should get really smooth porridge then.

This is my recipe for Shredded Chicken Porridge.

• 1/2 rice bowl measure of rice (rinsed and soaked in water for 15 minutes)
  • 1 leg of chicken
  • 3 cm ginger (julienned – slice as thinly as you can)
  • chopped spring onions
  • 4 shallots (sliced thinly)
  • 1.5 litres chicken stock

• 1 1/2 teaspoons salt or to taste
  • 2 teaspoons light soya sauce
  • White pepper powder to taste
  • A few drops of sesame oil per serving bowl

Bring chicken stock to boil. Add leg of chicken and allow to cook until just done. Don’t over cook the chicken or the meat will become tough. Remove leg of chicken and set aside to cool. Shred the meat with finger tips.

Place rice in pot. Add chicken stock and bring to boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to simmer and stir occasionally until rice grains are cooked (puffed up or broken). Switch off heat and close lid and allow to stand for 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, fry the shallots till golden brown and set aside the fried shallots.

Reheat porridge and add some water whilst stirring. Bring to boil until you get a smooth consistency. Add light soya sauce and salt to taste.

Pour onto serving bowls, top up with white pepper powder, sesame oil, some shredded chicken, ginger, spring onions and fried shallots. Serve hot.

Comments

noobcook
    August 11th, 2008 at 10:13 pm

Congee is one of my favourite comfort foods … the finer consistency, the better … really nice photo! I love the thinly-julienned ginger too :)~

Charmaine
    August 12th, 2008 at 12:25 pm

I love chicken porridge. I find it I cook porridge with broken rice (from Thailand or Vietnam) is makes it smoother. Cooks quicker too and saves on soaking. Thks for the recipe.

Alice
    August 12th, 2008 at 12:39 pm

I love porridge too. This recipe is good and easy to cook. Nice pic too..

steamykitchen
    August 12th, 2008 at 8:20 pm

porridge is always my comfort food when I’m sick! my kids love it too when they don’t feel well, it just makes them feel better

August 12th, 2008 at 10:40 pm

Wow, this looks really easy to cook, not to mention yummy…

Must try this out someday :)

didally
    August 13th, 2008 at 11:18 am

I feel like having zhok now. Yours look really smooth.

Pureglutton
    August 13th, 2008 at 2:53 pm

Porridge is good when you need a break from all the rich oily stuff you’ve been eating! Easily digestible, good for the system. This is a real easy thing to do eh – nice pics!

Farina
    August 14th, 2008 at 12:37 am

Hi Pablo. Looking at this makes me miss the porridge stalls at kg. baru. i love their varieties of side dishes.

RebeccaC
    August 14th, 2008 at 12:48 am

Hi! Thanks for stopping by my site. Okay…so this porridge looks awesome. I’ve never tried anything like this…very cool.

As for the eggplant parm towers — you could do these stovetop I think. Just sautee them in a small amount of olive oil until crispy on both sides before layering with the cheeses. Not sure how to melt the cheese without a broiler but I think it would still be good.

Gay
    August 14th, 2008 at 10:52 pm

I love chicken porridge, too. We call in arroz caldo in the Philippines and usually sauted with ginger and fish paste and chicken.

Tom Aarons
    August 15th, 2008 at 4:44 pm

Love your porridge! Yum!

clara
    August 15th, 2008 at 10:44 pm

It’s easy for me to want a bowl like this for breakfast!

VG
    August 16th, 2008 at 9:40 am

Thanks for sharing. Love porridge. Simple yet nutricious!

August 19th, 2008 at 11:21 am

Charmaine : Yes, broken rice is also suitable but with this recipe, you can use good quality whole rice grain and get a smooth texture. Hope you will give it a try.

Alice : Thanks for the compliments.

Steamykitchen : Porridge always gets associated with the sick, no? :D

Avatar : You should!

didally : So, have you had your portion? :D

Pureglutton : Yeah, it’s a good change from the oily stuffs and easy to eat especially on a hot day.

Farina : I think there should be some good bubur in Kampung Baru, yes?

RebeccaC : Thanks for the tips!

Gay : I am quite sure there is some similarity somewhere ;)

Tom : Here, have a bowl :)

clara : It sure is a good choice for breakfast.

VGb: You are absolutely correct!

August 21st, 2008 at 9:58 am

I’m not sure if it’s because I’m Teochew that makes me love porridge so much…whether in sickness or in good health :D

Kristy
    August 26th, 2008 at 10:44 am

The photos is fantastic! Do you mind telling me what camera you use?

sandrine
    August 27th, 2008 at 2:53 am

I just had foot surgery was looking for ‘juk’ porridge recipes. This was perfect-came out great! Thanks for the forver no fail recipes.
    Also help me homesickness. Thanks Pablopabla!
    -Sandrine from Chicago

August 27th, 2008 at 11:24 am

Tigerfish : He! He! I think Hokkiens are like teochews also – like porridge :D

Kristy : Thank you! I am using a Nikon L4 point and shoot digital camera. It’s the entry level for their range but no more in production. Any other camera would give a better quality :D

Sandrine : I am glad it turned out well and I do hope you are feeling much better now.

Andie Summerkiss
    September 2nd, 2008 at 2:53 pm

I am going to cook that tomorrow.

It is the dish that we always eat when we are sick. I am as healthy as a horse, of course. I guess I just miss home. :

Ben
    September 20th, 2008 at 10:01 pm

Porridge is good. Shredded chicken porridge, very different lol. Porridge makes me fart, the only reason i am looking at this article is because i’ve just had some porridge.

P.S i typed in the search bar, wierd porridge haha.

girl
    September 26th, 2010 at 11:46 am

how many bowls of porridge does this recipe give?

October 7th, 2010 at 3:05 pm

girl : Depending on the size of your bowl. I would say that it should feed 3 adults.

SR
    August 19th, 2011 at 1:33 pm

Hi, I just cooked this because my 13 year old is unwell today. It’s so easy and came out great. I just had 2 large bowls …. I used Campbell’s Chicken Broth cos I needed something fast and it worked well. Thanks for sharing this … I will be cooking this quite often from now on.

Anne
    September 28th, 2011 at 10:53 pm

My husband is not a porridge fan, but even he loved how this turned out! Thanks for sharing, it was yummy.

1. General Tso's Pork Ribs in Crock Pot | Hochiak! Delicious Asian Food