Lala Clams

Seafood December 22nd, 2008

lala

Tis’ the season to be jolly, fa la la la la, la la la la. I’ve been extremely busy of late and will be as busy for the next 3 months or so. Something is coming up and by the middle of next year, there will be a wide variety of dishes coming right up on Delicious Asian Food.

In the meantime, I haven’t been cooking much but last weekend, I chanced upon some fresh lala clams at the wet market and could not resist getting myself a pound (600 grammes) of them. I am not sure what they are called in other parts of the world, let alone whether they can be found but these lala clams are a local delicacy especially amongst the chinese community in Malaysia.

Lala clams are relatively cheap and is sold in most chinese restaurants which specialises in seafood. If you get them from the wet market or supermarket, they are definitely cheaper than eating out. There are many ways to cook lala clams and some of the popular style of cooking includes stir-fried lala with ginger and scallions, stir-fried lala kam-heong style, chilli lala, ginger lala soup or adding lala into other seafood dishes.

My 600 grammes of lala clams allowed me to cook 2 different dishes with them and you shall see them in the next two posts. Watch this space!

Comments

annna
    December 22nd, 2008 at 10:28 pm

can hardly find this clams here. So rare…

can’t wait to see ur next mouth watering post.

Alice
    December 23rd, 2008 at 8:23 am

I love lala too… I like it with ginger & scallion. Just can’t wait to see your recipes.

noobcook
    December 23rd, 2008 at 12:29 pm

lol at the first line … lala clams become part of christmas jingle XD look forward to the lala recipes as well as the new updates to your site =)

molly
    December 23rd, 2008 at 9:51 pm

I love to eat la la too but I am not good at cooking it and my children prefer restaurant cook than mine. Let’s see your recipe!

The Grub Hound
    December 23rd, 2008 at 11:31 pm

How do they compare to Maine Littlenecks or the steamers we get here in the US?

tummythoz
    December 25th, 2008 at 5:10 pm

Any tips on cleaning them? Is mere ‘drowning’ them in salt water good enuf?

December 27th, 2008 at 5:24 pm

annna & Alice : I’ve just posted the recipe!

Noobcook : They came right on season :D

molly : Try cooking them yourselves. It’s simpler than you think ;)

Grub Hound : Based on the pictures of the Maine Littlenecks, it would seem that the Lala Clams have far thinner shells and are more longish in shape.

tummythoz : My tips on cleaning the lala clams appear in the next post. Apart from rinsing them, give them a nice spa scrub :D

Scott at Realepicurean
    January 21st, 2009 at 2:06 am

I haven’t eaten fresh clams in a very, very long time…

And hello to a fellow 9rules member, by the way :)

Dhi
    February 6th, 2009 at 5:04 pm

Ah, so this is what it’s called. Cute name! and great photos here… luv it. Thanks for stopping by :D

1. Stir Fried Lala Clams in Tomato Sauce | Delicious Asian Food