kailan_shredded_scallops3_400px

This is a delicious and easy vegetable side dish, easy to cook and tastes really good. I used kailan (aka jie lan, Chinese broccoli, Chinese kale) – which is a popular vegetable in Chinese cooking. It is highly nutritious and has an inherently slight bitter taste (hence sugar is added during boiling to neutralize the slight bitterness).

As a result of brief boiling to cook the kailan, the vegetable is nicely cooked and retains its crunchiness while the dried scallops (kan bei) jazzes up the dish by making it sweeter and more interesting. I learnt this recipe from watching the local (Singapore) variety show三菜一汤and this was one of the dishes whipped up by Mediacorp artiste Michelle Chong. I was impressed with both her culinary skills and her recipe. I tried the recipe soon after watching the show and I really love it, so yummy. I made this from memory after watching the show so I am probably not following her recipe 100% but the end result is still good. Hope you like the recipe too.

This is the recipe for Kailan with Shredded Scallops

Ingredients (Serves 2-3)

• 300g kailan leaves
  • ½ tablespoon chopped garlic
  • 4 dried scallops
  • Cornstarch solution (about ½ tbsp cornstarch mixed with 2 tbsp plain water)
  • 50ml stock/plain water
  • Olive oil/vegetable oil
  • Sugar

Directions

Give scallops a clean rinse, then soak them in a dish of water (just enough to cover) for at least half an hour to soften them.

In a wok or saucepan, add water (just about enough to cover the kalian), a bit of vegetable/olive oil and a bit of sugar. When water boils, add in kailan to cook for about 3-5 minutes until cooked (do not overcook). Take out the cooked kalian and arrange on a plate.

In a clean wok, heat a bit of oil and sauté garlic till fragrant. Use your fingers to separate the scallops strands and add in wok. Reserve the water from soaking the scallops.

Add water previously used for soaking the scallops, as well as some stock/plain water. Bring to a boil for about 2 minutes and thicken with cornstarch solution till the desired consistency. Drizzle the mixture over the cooked kailan.

Wiffy, a cheerful Singaporean lady who describes herself as a NoobCook dished out this recipe as my Guest Chef this time around. Yet, the food that she whips up certainly shows that she is not a noobcook as her recipes (which comes with great looking photographs) have been featured in a number of websites. Do check out the droolicious recipes on her site.

Comments

alecho
    June 23rd, 2009 at 2:50 am

niiiice… shredded scallops? that is a good idea. There this one girl I’m trying to impress and she loves eating Bok Choy. Maybe I’ll add shredded scallops on top… thanx yo! :)

noobcook
    June 23rd, 2009 at 8:10 am

Thanks for posting my recipe Pablo =D really happy to see my very first guest post on your site hehe =)

Alice
    June 23rd, 2009 at 5:21 pm

I love Kai Lan cooked in this way too… simple healthy and delicious! Oh yeah! Wiffy’s blog and recipes are great! I am one of her fans too!

lisaiscooking
    June 23rd, 2009 at 10:26 pm

Looks delicious! I’ve never tried dried scallops before, so this sounds very interesting.

Ladyhomechef
    June 24th, 2009 at 12:38 am

Simple & nice! I love scallop, normally used it to cook with shitake mushroom, yum yum! :)

food-4tots
    June 24th, 2009 at 9:13 am

As a noobcook myself, I am always inspired with Wiffy’s simple yet delicious recipes. She is definitely not a noobcook to me. ;)

Applelyn
    June 26th, 2009 at 5:55 pm

I’m also a noob to cooking.. lol.. every fri i will come in here to get some inspirations on what to cook over the weekends..3 veg 1 soup yo… I have 3 guinea pigs at home.. :D

Alice
    June 26th, 2009 at 11:04 pm

Hi there,
    I came across your website yesterday while browsing the internet for sarawak laksa recipe. I was desperately craving for sarawak laksa lately. But there is no way I can get it here in Toronto :( I was born and raise in Kuching and I wasn’t big fan of laksa at all. Now that I can’t have it, I miss it a lot. Especially now I’m pregnant, everyday morning, my mind took me back to local hawker market and I can smell laksa, kueh chap, kolomee…etc. It was really pain when you can eat the food that you crave when you want it :(
    anyway, I love your site… keep up the good work, Hochiak!

sensiblecooking
    January 25th, 2011 at 7:33 am

Oh i love any kind of greens. I have my moms recipe and that is mostly how i make mine. This is so different I gotta try it. So healthy too.

1. My First Guest Post! | NoobCook.com