Black Soybean Milk

Beans, Dessert July 21st, 2009

It does not matter whether it is black or white. Black Soybean also known as Black Bean or Black Soya Bean will give you a white looking milk just like its cousin, the soya bean. It may not be common for you to find anyone selling this drink out there but you’d be surprise to know that the cooking method is the same. If you know how to make black soybean milk, you will also know how to make soybean milk

The Black Bean Milk tastes quite similar to the common Soy Bean Milk albeit creamier. It is more expensive to purchase compared to the soy bean but once you’ve made a couple of litres of this, you will then realise that the vendors are making hefty profit out of this nutritious drink (hint : a couple of hundred percent profit). The hardest work involved is the milking process – when you have to squeeze out the milk / juice from the blended beans. Ensure that you get a good filter. I used a cotton coffee filter (the ones which Malaysians use to brew coffee in kopitiams).

Do not keep this drink longer than necessary. Overnight at the most, being kept in the refridgerator. Somehow, my gut feeling is that drinks made from beans are not supposed to last long especially if it did not go through any factory process. Anyway, if you are keen to impress your family or your weekend guests, give this drink a try. It’s nutritious and definitely delicious.

This is my wife’s recipe for Black Soy Bean Milk

• 500 grammes black soy bean (soaked overnight)
  • a couple of pandan leaves
  • 2.5 litres of water
  • Sugar to taste

Drain the black soy bean and place them in a blender. Add some water to cover the beans before blending them finely.

Pour blended black soy bean into a large bowl or pot and add remaining water. Strain / Sieve the contents through a fine muslin cloth.

Place sieved black soy bean milk into a pot, add the pandan leaves and bring to boil very slowly. Ensure that you stir the milk regularly to prevent burning. Turn off the heat immediately upon boiling and allow to cool.

You can either choose to add the sugar whilst bringing the black soy bean to boil or prepare syrup separately and add the syrup prior to drinking.

Serve hot or cold.

Comments

Alice
    July 22nd, 2009 at 10:45 am

This is something new and indeed nutritious! Tks for sharing!

July 22nd, 2009 at 4:51 pm

Alice : Try it out and post it in your blog :D

food-4tots
    July 23rd, 2009 at 12:56 am

Never thought of using black soy beans before. What a great idea! Btw, where can I buy cotton coffee filter?

Anh
    July 23rd, 2009 at 4:41 am

I have yet to make soy meal from black beans. Very inspiring!

Anita
    July 23rd, 2009 at 10:55 am

This is a very new thing for me. I have never used black beans and would love to give this a go. Thanks for the recipe.

July 23rd, 2009 at 11:07 am

food-4tots : You can get the cotton coffee filter from sundry shops or even in some wet markets where traders sell kitchen wares. Otherwise, go to a textile shop and ask for muslin cloth (thick and closely-woven cotton) suitable for straining / squeezing purposes. It’s just like squeezing santan.

Anh : A refreshing change from the usual soy bean :D

Anita : Give this a try. I have a feeling that black soy beans are much more nutritious than the common yellow soy beans.

Rasa Malaysia
    July 23rd, 2009 at 12:04 pm

I tried this before in Penang but seriously I can’t tell the difference. The color is definitely slightly “darker” but taste wise, it’s same! I still prefer the regular soy bean milk because it’s more pekat somehow???

July 23rd, 2009 at 12:08 pm

Rasa Malaysia : The taste is quite similar. The thickness depends on the amount of water which you add – not unlike coconut milk. I haven’t done a comparison research on the nutrition of the black soy bean and the regular yellow soy bean.

July 24th, 2009 at 4:40 pm

Black soy? I would have thought that will give black milk too! Oops!

Jin Hooi
    July 24th, 2009 at 6:44 pm

I tried this before but to be honest I still prefer the regular soy milk .. I am just not good when it comes to trying new thing .

Apple
    July 25th, 2009 at 8:19 am

I have always wanted to know how to make soy bean milk. Thank you for the recipe. :D

Elaine
    July 25th, 2009 at 9:26 am

Hello, hello! I’ve had black soy bean drink before, honestly I can’t tell the difference between the black soy and the regular soy drink. Tastes good anyhow. How’s it going, Pablo? :)

Miakoda
    July 25th, 2009 at 9:41 am

How interesting. I’ve always shied away from the bottles in the supermarket because I share what you think about milk from beans being kept too long. This is truly helpful, I’ll try this! :)

TasteHongKong
    July 25th, 2009 at 1:44 pm

Believe or not, Chinese physicians suggest that black bean is particularly good for kidney (and many other foods in black, like black sesame).

Just to share, I have got a recipe recently posted on Sesame Cream Soup. Welcome to drop by

noobcook
    July 27th, 2009 at 12:19 pm

wow! I didn’t know that black soya beans make white soya bean milk as well. Looks great and nutritious. Hope I have the chance to make my own soya bean milk next time ^^

July 27th, 2009 at 12:40 pm

Tigerfish : Guess we can’t judge food by its cover as well :D

Jin Hooi : Is it because of the colour of the beans? Or the notion that the black soy beans are usually used in soups?

Apple : Now you know :D

Elaine : I’m doing good here. Happy to see you here again :D

Miakoda : I suppose the commercially available soy bean milk were produced under strict hygiene methods to prolong their shelf lives, possibly with preservatives. But then, with fresh soy milk, there is no reason to keep them longer than necessary. Afterall, it is a really cheap drink to produce.

TasteHongKong : Yes, I believe the black beans are much touted for their nutrition and hence, it’s used commonly in soups.

Noobcook : I can just imagine you whipping this up really soon :D

reeseboston
    August 1st, 2009 at 4:09 pm

Black Soy Bean? Do they sell it in KL? I am so stuffed with all the food here. Leaving this Sunday. Will return again for a visitnext year. I’ll get you some stuff on my next planned trip. Ciao!

val
    August 3rd, 2009 at 5:27 am

Loving your site! All these wonderful asian dishes makes me crave my moms cooking so bad and I will have to try out alot of your recipes! Thanks!

August 10th, 2009 at 10:42 am

Reeseboston : You can get black soybeans in most sundry shops or supermarkets but it is difficult to find someone selling black soybean milk as it is less common.

Val : Good to see you here. Try the dishes and let me know how they turn out :D

love5chronicle
    September 28th, 2009 at 9:38 am

Hi,
    I tried this recipe yesterday but when I was squeezing out the grinded beans, it was light greyish colour instead of white like what you’ve said…is this normal? Or have I missed any important step? Thanks.

September 28th, 2009 at 9:55 am

love5chronicle : It is normal to have a little greyish or greenish colour. Afterall, the skin is black. So, no worries. Hope it tasted good :D

love5chronicle
    September 30th, 2009 at 12:13 pm

OK thanks. By the way, I used organic black turtle beans – I supposed its the same as other black beans…?

love5chronicle
    September 30th, 2009 at 12:15 pm

Also, I’ve grinded it on Sunday but didn’t have time to boil it so I kept in fridge. Do u think it’s ok if I boil it tonight? Sorry for asking such simple questions!
    Thanks!

September 30th, 2009 at 5:25 pm

love5chronicle : I can’t be absolutely sure whether organic black turtle beans are the same or not but if they look exactly like the ones above, they should be correct. I’ve never tried grinding on one day and boiling it on another day and therefore, would not be in a position to tell you if it is ok – health wise. If possible, I would advise that you grind, strain and boil on the same day to maintain freshness. Beans (and its by-products) usually do not last long unless you use preservatives. Better err on the safe side.

MH
    December 3rd, 2009 at 1:59 am

Is this the black bean used for cooking black bean soup?

December 10th, 2009 at 1:10 pm

MH : Yes, it’s the same type of beans.

Anyhow-cook
    June 8th, 2010 at 4:07 pm

Thanks for sharing this great alternative. Now if I don’t feel like brewing black bean soup, I know what to do !

undergraduate
    June 10th, 2010 at 5:06 pm

My mum made black soya bean milk before. It really has a good taste and is healthier than soy bean. You guys should try it out!

Tian-Shi
    June 23rd, 2010 at 8:23 am

Well everybody forgot the most important.
    Soy Milk made by Black Beans is indicated to improve blood circulation and reduce bad cholesterol levels.
    This is de most important diference with Soy Milk.

Tian-Shi
    July 6th, 2010 at 6:56 am

Listen carefully!!! Because nobody said that at all.
    Not all black beans make Black Soy Milk!!!
    Black Beans (HEI-DOU in chinese) are black color outside and GREEN inside. That is!!
    Other black beans doesn’t work for this purpose.

anonymous
    September 21st, 2010 at 9:27 pm

do I need to remove the black skin of the beans after soaking overnight?

October 7th, 2010 at 3:06 pm

Anon : Not necessary to remove the skin.

Help pls
    December 31st, 2011 at 4:36 am

Is it black turtle bean = black bean?

GenbL
    January 31st, 2012 at 11:06 am

Hi! I’ve tried with black turtle beans (Clic brand in Canada) and it didn’t turned as well as I’ve expected. I’ve done home made regular soy bean before and it worked well. So, from my experience, Black turtle beans aren’t black soy beans. My results (tried twice) were a really thick gooei soup like purple meal. It didn’t taste like soy bean at all (more like a “crude greeny” taste), but you know it worth giving it a try.

Barbara
    August 3rd, 2012 at 4:54 am

If you rehydrate overnight, freeze at -4oC, then thaw, you’ll break the beans up much better.

casey
    September 27th, 2012 at 9:16 pm

hi pablo, can i keep the left over black soya in the frige?

October 8th, 2012 at 10:50 am

Casey : Hi, since no preservatives are used, I won’t keep it for more than 48 hours.

James
    January 21st, 2013 at 2:22 pm

Just so everyone knows, black turtle beans are NOT soya beans! Turtle beans are what you’ll find in Mexican & Latin cuisine. They are an entirely different food altogether.

True black soya beans can be found in Asian grocery stores or from specially natural food vendors like Eden. Perhaps a little tricky for a novice to locate, but you’ll know it when you see it.

1. Homemade soybean milk | Food-4Tots | Recipes for Toddlers