Scallop Congee

Porridge, Seafood January 19th, 2010

Scallop Congee is one of my most oft cooked congee for weekend lunch. Okay, make it Scallop Porridge for those who are more familiar with the word porridge. Actually, it’s the same. And whichever name you call it, it will still taste as good though I suspect the word “congee” sounds much more sophisticated and refined to be used.

For this congee, I use dried scallops which I purchase from the wet market. You can get them from supermarkets and some chinese herbal shops or even, dried sea produce. I use those which are relatively small in size – perhaps about the size of half a pop corn as they are cheap and easy to cook.

In the picture above, the scallop congee appears white in colour. I have a habit of eating my scallop congee with an egg. What I would do is to break an egg into the bowl and pour boiling congee over it before giving it a good stir. The egg gives the congee a much smoother texture and definitely tastes better. Game for a bowl? :)

This is my recipe for Scallop Congee

• 3/4 bowl of rice
  • about 15 to 20 pieces of dried scallops (rinsed and soaked in water for 30 minutes. Do not discard water)
  • 100 grammes of minced pork
  • Chopped spring onions
  • Sesame oil

• Salt and white pepper powder to taste
  • 1 tablespoon light soya sauce

Rinse the rice before placing it into a pot. Add 10 bowls of water plus the water previously used to soak the dried scallops and bring to boil.

Once it starts to boil, add scallops and reduce heat to low. Partially cover with lid and ensure the bubbles do not boil over the pot. Stir once a while.

Simmer until rice is completely cooked (starts to break up) which will take approximately 30 minutes. Add a little boiling water every now and then to keep it runny. Turn off heat and cover lid. Allow to cool for 1 hour.

Before serving, bring congee to boil. Add more boiling water to keep it runny as the congee would have absorb much of the water during the cooling process. Once it boils, add minced pork and stir well. Add seasoning.

Dish up and drizzle a little sesame oil over the congee.

Serve hot and garnish with chopped spring onions and yau char kuey (if available).

[Serves approximately 4 adults - soup bowl size]

Comments

noobcook
    January 20th, 2010 at 4:40 pm

looks fantastic! I heard that some people soak their rice for hours for good texture, but yours look perfect to me without having to do that. Just like you, I like to add a raw egg in my bowl of congee ^_^

January 20th, 2010 at 4:44 pm

Noobcook : If you look at those who sell porridge / congee, they always have a pot of plain congee ready and merely reboil it once an order is placed. I’ve learnt through experience that you don’t really need to soak the rice before cooking. Reboiling does the trick as well ;)

Adino
    January 21st, 2010 at 2:00 pm

I’ve never tried porridge with egg. Definitely something I’ll try next time.

I love your photograph. The purple table mat gives the porridge a classy and professional look. The lighting is even and soft, and the sharp focus on the yau char kuey makes me feel like reaching into my screen and grabbing a piece.

January 21st, 2010 at 2:14 pm

Adino : Hey, you should definitely try it out with an egg. If you are not adverse to the taste of half-boiled eggs, then this will be a treat for you :D

Thanks for the feedback and compliment on the photograph. Natural lighting plays a big part here. And I’m only using an entry level Nikon L4 which is no more sold in the market. It’s amazing what a piece of table mat and a little garnishing can do to a simple porridge meal.

The Little Teochew
    January 24th, 2010 at 9:41 pm

Hi! Lovely congee you made! I second what you said about re-boiling. I saw a cooking show once, and the chef added rice flour (mixed with water) to the congee minutes before turning off the flame – to get that extra smooth texture. :)

Tuty
    January 26th, 2010 at 2:59 pm

I love congee but haven’t tried it with dried scallop. Perhaps, I need to splurge a bit and try your recipe.

Thanks for sharing the recipe.

January 28th, 2010 at 10:41 am

Ju : Hmm…I’ve never seen or heard about the adding of rice flour water before. I guess that might give it further smoothness. Thanks for the tip!

Tuty : Give yourself a treat. Hope you’ll like it!

Alex
    January 29th, 2010 at 6:34 am

hi
    I cook my congee in a crockpot..overnight.Usually add pieces of chicken (with julienne ginger) or minced pork

Rasa Malaysia
    January 29th, 2010 at 10:32 am

My Chinese friends told me that fake dried scallops are made of snakes!! Now I only buy dried scallops from Japan!! ;)

delicious
    February 1st, 2010 at 12:20 pm

I’m at home today, down with the stomach flu and this looks like something simple and soothing that I can whip up to appease my protesting intestines!
    Thanks!
    BTW, to cut the cooking time, I’m gonna use my magic thermal pot. Will let you know how it turns out!

Alice
    February 1st, 2010 at 5:41 pm

Hey! It had been long waiting for your post. Scallop congee is one of my favourite too and I am a congee lover. So, just love any congee when I carved for it.

Christine@Christine's Recipes
    February 2nd, 2010 at 3:15 pm

The scallop congee is my hubby’s favourite. So I have to cook it once in a while as he’d keep asking me if I don’t, lol….
    I used to buy dried scallops when I travel to HK because they’re quite expensive here.

food-4tots
    March 1st, 2010 at 11:59 pm

Haven’t bought dried scallop for quite a while. It’s time to get some soon. ;)

peteformation
    March 10th, 2010 at 12:37 pm

Nice savoury scallop congee! Good for lunch on a hot day!

Oldsweetheart
    March 15th, 2010 at 2:56 am

I think I can make a crockpot version of this!

Jayce
    April 29th, 2010 at 1:19 pm

A must have when we are sick. :P

MaryMoh
    May 2nd, 2010 at 1:51 pm

I miss this congee. I was told that it’s very nutritious.

lily
    November 24th, 2011 at 7:10 pm

It looks fascinating! Simple and delicious food always interest me because it can be cooked by myself.Lovely congee ,I’m coming!

Rachel
    February 19th, 2012 at 7:23 pm

I never used to eat congee until I moved to Thailand and now I’m addicted :)

This sounds delicious.

Disc
    March 1st, 2012 at 4:33 pm

looks awesome! :)
    My mum used to serve me tons of those when i was younger and/or sick ;p

My own version nowadays isnt half as good as hers.. (its still VERY good! :D )

best ones are those served on the streets of vietnam tho.

Rachel Chew
    April 25th, 2012 at 1:09 am

I love your recipes! I have tried some and it actually is very simple steps to do. Well done! As I’m currently away from home and living in London, I’m always constantly looking for Malaysian recipe. Keep up the good work!

Anne
    February 22nd, 2013 at 8:03 pm

Try washing the rice, drain it, put ii in a container (covered) and leave it in the freezer overnight. Saves cooking time. You’ll get congee real quick.

1. Congee Recipe